May 26, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Nationals starter Ross Detwiler has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right oblique, reports Adam Kilgore. The lefty missed his previous scheduled start on May 20 against the Giants and was replaced by Zach Duke. Thanks to an off-day on the 23rd, the Nationals were able to bump everyone else up one start, but were looking to get another spot start on Tuesday. As a result, they DL’ed Detwiler retroactive to May 16 and promoted 26-year-old Xavier Cedeno.
Cedeno, a lefty, was picked up off waivers by the Nationals from the Houston Astros on April 23. In five games out of the bullpen with the Astros, Cedeno allowed 11 runs (eight earned) on ten hits and seven walks while striking out three in 6.1 innings of work. With Triple-A Syracuse, the Nationals’ affiliate, Cedeno posted a 1.74 ERA in 10.1 innings with 14 strikeouts and three walks.
As for Detwiler, his injury is unfortunate for the Nationals as they were enjoying his hot start to the season. He had a 2.76 ERA through eight starts.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)