May 26, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Nationals starter Ross Detwiler has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right oblique, reports Adam Kilgore. The lefty missed his previous scheduled start on May 20 against the Giants and was replaced by Zach Duke. Thanks to an off-day on the 23rd, the Nationals were able to bump everyone else up one start, but were looking to get another spot start on Tuesday. As a result, they DL’ed Detwiler retroactive to May 16 and promoted 26-year-old Xavier Cedeno.
Cedeno, a lefty, was picked up off waivers by the Nationals from the Houston Astros on April 23. In five games out of the bullpen with the Astros, Cedeno allowed 11 runs (eight earned) on ten hits and seven walks while striking out three in 6.1 innings of work. With Triple-A Syracuse, the Nationals’ affiliate, Cedeno posted a 1.74 ERA in 10.1 innings with 14 strikeouts and three walks.
As for Detwiler, his injury is unfortunate for the Nationals as they were enjoying his hot start to the season. He had a 2.76 ERA through eight starts.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 2
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 1
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)