May 26, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Nationals starter Ross Detwiler has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right oblique, reports Adam Kilgore. The lefty missed his previous scheduled start on May 20 against the Giants and was replaced by Zach Duke. Thanks to an off-day on the 23rd, the Nationals were able to bump everyone else up one start, but were looking to get another spot start on Tuesday. As a result, they DL’ed Detwiler retroactive to May 16 and promoted 26-year-old Xavier Cedeno.
Cedeno, a lefty, was picked up off waivers by the Nationals from the Houston Astros on April 23. In five games out of the bullpen with the Astros, Cedeno allowed 11 runs (eight earned) on ten hits and seven walks while striking out three in 6.1 innings of work. With Triple-A Syracuse, the Nationals’ affiliate, Cedeno posted a 1.74 ERA in 10.1 innings with 14 strikeouts and three walks.
As for Detwiler, his injury is unfortunate for the Nationals as they were enjoying his hot start to the season. He had a 2.76 ERA through eight starts.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)