May 26, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Nationals starter Ross Detwiler has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right oblique, reports Adam Kilgore. The lefty missed his previous scheduled start on May 20 against the Giants and was replaced by Zach Duke. Thanks to an off-day on the 23rd, the Nationals were able to bump everyone else up one start, but were looking to get another spot start on Tuesday. As a result, they DL’ed Detwiler retroactive to May 16 and promoted 26-year-old Xavier Cedeno.
Cedeno, a lefty, was picked up off waivers by the Nationals from the Houston Astros on April 23. In five games out of the bullpen with the Astros, Cedeno allowed 11 runs (eight earned) on ten hits and seven walks while striking out three in 6.1 innings of work. With Triple-A Syracuse, the Nationals’ affiliate, Cedeno posted a 1.74 ERA in 10.1 innings with 14 strikeouts and three walks.
As for Detwiler, his injury is unfortunate for the Nationals as they were enjoying his hot start to the season. He had a 2.76 ERA through eight starts.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 26
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)