May 26, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
As first reported by Amy Gutierrez of CSN Bay Area, Giants reliever Santiago Casilla is scheduled to undergo surgery this week to remove a cyst from his right knee. The Giants won’t make a guess on a recovery timetable until the procedure is completed.
“Immobilized at least a few weeks,” is what head Giants trainer Dave Groeschner told beat writer Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News.
Casilla has been on the disabled list since May 21 because of the cyst, which has bothered him now for over three weeks. He had a superb 1.89 ERA through 21 appearances this season and boasts a 2.19 ERA since the start of the 2010 campaign. It’s a tough loss for San Francisco.
The 32-year-old right-hander signed a three-year, $14 million contract with the Giants in December 2012. The deal bought out Casilla’s final year of salary arbitration and his first two years of free agency.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)