May 26, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
As first reported by Amy Gutierrez of CSN Bay Area, Giants reliever Santiago Casilla is scheduled to undergo surgery this week to remove a cyst from his right knee. The Giants won’t make a guess on a recovery timetable until the procedure is completed.
“Immobilized at least a few weeks,” is what head Giants trainer Dave Groeschner told beat writer Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News.
Casilla has been on the disabled list since May 21 because of the cyst, which has bothered him now for over three weeks. He had a superb 1.89 ERA through 21 appearances this season and boasts a 2.19 ERA since the start of the 2010 campaign. It’s a tough loss for San Francisco.
The 32-year-old right-hander signed a three-year, $14 million contract with the Giants in December 2012. The deal bought out Casilla’s final year of salary arbitration and his first two years of free agency.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 161
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)