May 26, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
The Reds are 16-5 since the first day of May. 16-5.
That run of success continued on Saturday evening at Great American Ball Park as Homer Bailey went six strong innings and Aroldis Chapman earned his 12th save in an easy 5-2 defeat of the visiting Cubs.
Bailey now owns a 3.08 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 63/18 K/BB ratio through 64 1/3 innings (10 starts) this season. He had a great 2012 and looks ready to take another big step forward here in 2013. Chapman has a 2.74 ERA and has fanned 39 batters in 23 innings. He’s 12-for-14 in save opportunities thus far.
The Cardinals are on a 16-6 run of their own this month and are still sitting at the top of the National League Central standings, but only by a half-game. And they have to get through Clayton Kershaw this afternoon.
Your Saturday recaps and box scores:
Rockies 5, Giants 6 (10 innings)
Yankees 4, Rays 3 (11 innings)
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)