May 27, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
The Associated Press reminds us today that even though Roger Clemens beat the criminal rap over lying to a federal grand jury, he’s still in court and potentially on the hook for defamation:
A magistrate judge in the civil case last week ordered lawyers for Clemens to turn over government documents to the plaintiff, former strength coach Brian McNamee, including 22 FBI reports and notes from an Internal Revenue Service agent that refer to Clemens’ alleged affairs. A status conference in the case is scheduled for Wednesday.
This is the suit brought by Brian McNamee, arising out of Clemens and his lawyer’s idiotic PR offensive in the wake of the Mitchell Report. Rather than just clam up or offer simple denials like just about every other named player, Clemens launched an offensive which (a) sought to cast his accuser as a lying grifter; and (b) opened the door for all manner of sleazy news to come out about his character and his past.
Some who defend Clemens would say that he shouldn’t have had to admit to doing anything if he didn’t do it. And I tend to be sympathetic to that argument. But by the same token, denying the allegations in the Mitchell Report did not require the over-the-top attacks Clemens and Hardin mounted against McNamee in late 2007 and early 2008. Attacks for which he is still paying in terms of his image and may soon be paying for in cash.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)