May 27, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Weaver bypassed a minor-league rehab assignment, but did throw 5.2 innings of one-run ball in an extended spring training game last week while racking up nine strikeouts versus zero walks.
There’s no official word yet on who the Angels will be bumping from the starting rotation to make room for Weaver’s return, but Joe Blanton is the obvious candidate after beginning the season with a 1-7 record, 6.19 ERA, and .360 opponents’ batting average through 10 outings.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 3
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 51
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)