May 27, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Weaver bypassed a minor-league rehab assignment, but did throw 5.2 innings of one-run ball in an extended spring training game last week while racking up nine strikeouts versus zero walks.
There’s no official word yet on who the Angels will be bumping from the starting rotation to make room for Weaver’s return, but Joe Blanton is the obvious candidate after beginning the season with a 1-7 record, 6.19 ERA, and .360 opponents’ batting average through 10 outings.
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)