May 27, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
In the sixth inning of yesterday’s Cubs-Reds game Johnny Cueto threw a pitch over David DeJesus‘ head, leading to both benches being warned. Chicago came back to win the game and afterward Cubs starter Matt Garza, who’d plunked Todd Frazier two innings earlier, was very upset at Cueto:
Hopefully he learns to grow the hell up. Cueto should learn you don’t go after guys’ heads. Don’t wake a sleeping dog and I think that’s kind of immature on his part and totally uncalled for. He’s lucky that retaliation isn’t in our vocabulary here.
That’s kind of BS on his part. Just totally immature. If he has something to say about it, he knows where to find my locker and definitely I’ll find his. I took total disrespect out of that one. Zeus has never done anything wrong. He just plays the game the right way. So if Cueto has any problem, he can throw at me and I’ll definitely return the favor. I didn’t like that one bit.
There’s actually more where that came from and you can see the full video of Garza’s interview via CSNChicago.com:
UPDATE: Reds manager Dusty Baker has responded, basically saying he wishes Garza and Cueto could fight. Seriously.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)