May 27, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
In the sixth inning of yesterday’s Cubs-Reds game Johnny Cueto threw a pitch over David DeJesus‘ head, leading to both benches being warned. Chicago came back to win the game and afterward Cubs starter Matt Garza, who’d plunked Todd Frazier two innings earlier, was very upset at Cueto:
Hopefully he learns to grow the hell up. Cueto should learn you don’t go after guys’ heads. Don’t wake a sleeping dog and I think that’s kind of immature on his part and totally uncalled for. He’s lucky that retaliation isn’t in our vocabulary here.
That’s kind of BS on his part. Just totally immature. If he has something to say about it, he knows where to find my locker and definitely I’ll find his. I took total disrespect out of that one. Zeus has never done anything wrong. He just plays the game the right way. So if Cueto has any problem, he can throw at me and I’ll definitely return the favor. I didn’t like that one bit.
There’s actually more where that came from and you can see the full video of Garza’s interview via CSNChicago.com:
UPDATE: Reds manager Dusty Baker has responded, basically saying he wishes Garza and Cueto could fight. Seriously.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)