May 27, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
In the sixth inning of yesterday’s Cubs-Reds game Johnny Cueto threw a pitch over David DeJesus‘ head, leading to both benches being warned. Chicago came back to win the game and afterward Cubs starter Matt Garza, who’d plunked Todd Frazier two innings earlier, was very upset at Cueto:
Hopefully he learns to grow the hell up. Cueto should learn you don’t go after guys’ heads. Don’t wake a sleeping dog and I think that’s kind of immature on his part and totally uncalled for. He’s lucky that retaliation isn’t in our vocabulary here.
That’s kind of BS on his part. Just totally immature. If he has something to say about it, he knows where to find my locker and definitely I’ll find his. I took total disrespect out of that one. Zeus has never done anything wrong. He just plays the game the right way. So if Cueto has any problem, he can throw at me and I’ll definitely return the favor. I didn’t like that one bit.
There’s actually more where that came from and you can see the full video of Garza’s interview via CSNChicago.com:
UPDATE: Reds manager Dusty Baker has responded, basically saying he wishes Garza and Cueto could fight. Seriously.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 38
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)