May 27, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
In the sixth inning of yesterday’s Cubs-Reds game Johnny Cueto threw a pitch over David DeJesus‘ head, leading to both benches being warned. Chicago came back to win the game and afterward Cubs starter Matt Garza, who’d plunked Todd Frazier two innings earlier, was very upset at Cueto:
Hopefully he learns to grow the hell up. Cueto should learn you don’t go after guys’ heads. Don’t wake a sleeping dog and I think that’s kind of immature on his part and totally uncalled for. He’s lucky that retaliation isn’t in our vocabulary here.
That’s kind of BS on his part. Just totally immature. If he has something to say about it, he knows where to find my locker and definitely I’ll find his. I took total disrespect out of that one. Zeus has never done anything wrong. He just plays the game the right way. So if Cueto has any problem, he can throw at me and I’ll definitely return the favor. I didn’t like that one bit.
There’s actually more where that came from and you can see the full video of Garza’s interview via CSNChicago.com:
UPDATE: Reds manager Dusty Baker has responded, basically saying he wishes Garza and Cueto could fight. Seriously.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)