May 27, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
The Nationals will call up prospect right-hander Nate Karns to start Tuesday against the Orioles, reports Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com. He’ll fill the rotation spot of Ross Detwiler, who has been dealing with a right oblique strain for well over a week and was finally placed on the disabled list yesterday.
Karns only has nine starts above the High-A level, so facing the powerful Orioles’ lineup will be a big test, but the Nationals are willing to roll the dice with him rather than give another start to Zach Duke. Meanwhile, Chris Young has really struggled at Triple-A and Ross Ohlendorf just pitched for the Chiefs on Saturday and would be on short rest for the assignment.
Shoulder problems caused Karns to drop to the 12th round back in 2009, but he owns a 2.70 ERA and 262 strikeouts over 216 1/3 innings in the minors. After being named the Nationals’ minor league pitcher of the year in 2012, the 25-year-old owns a 4.60 ERA and 55/18 K/BB ratio in 45 innings across nine starts in Double-A this season. While he has averaged 4.1 BB/9 in the minors, he has shown improved control as he has worked his way up the organizational ladder.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)