May 27, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
The Nationals will call up prospect right-hander Nate Karns to start Tuesday against the Orioles, reports Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com. He’ll fill the rotation spot of Ross Detwiler, who has been dealing with a right oblique strain for well over a week and was finally placed on the disabled list yesterday.
Karns only has nine starts above the High-A level, so facing the powerful Orioles’ lineup will be a big test, but the Nationals are willing to roll the dice with him rather than give another start to Zach Duke. Meanwhile, Chris Young has really struggled at Triple-A and Ross Ohlendorf just pitched for the Chiefs on Saturday and would be on short rest for the assignment.
Shoulder problems caused Karns to drop to the 12th round back in 2009, but he owns a 2.70 ERA and 262 strikeouts over 216 1/3 innings in the minors. After being named the Nationals’ minor league pitcher of the year in 2012, the 25-year-old owns a 4.60 ERA and 55/18 K/BB ratio in 45 innings across nine starts in Double-A this season. While he has averaged 4.1 BB/9 in the minors, he has shown improved control as he has worked his way up the organizational ladder.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 17
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)