May 27, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Ryan Braun is out of the Brewers’ lineup for today’s game against the Twins and may end up missing multiple games because of a thumb injury.
Braun told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that he initially hurt his right thumb two weeks ago and has “basically been swinging with one hand for two weeks.” And it’s actually worked, because Braun has hit .326 with an .892 OPS during that time.
Braun expressed frustration about the injury getting worse rather than improving, which suggests it could be a lingering issue for a while. Or as the former MVP put it: “It’s just at the point where I need to take the time to get it close to being healthy so I can contribute and do the things I’m used to doing.”
UPDATE: Braun pinch-hit in the ninth inning this afternoon and lined out to end the game.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)