Settling the Score: Sunday’s results

May 27, 2013, 6:54 AM EDT

Cleveland Indians v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

A good Memorial Day to all of you. I hope you’re spending it well. And I hope that, however you’re spending it, you take some time to think about the reason why most of you are off work or school today.

Lots of day games today, which is cool. For now, here are yesterday’s results:

Red Sox 6, Indians 5

Nationals 6, Phillies 1

Tigers 6, Twins 1

Pirates 5, Brewers 4

Rays 8, Yankees 3

White Sox 5, Marlins 3

1. fukpittsburgh - May 27, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Shoeless Jim Johnson with 12 earned runs, 13 hits, 3 losses and 4 blown saves in his last 5 innings pitched over a span of 12 days. Would it really be so wrong to question if this guy is making a little money on the side right now?

• stanleyfrankmusial - May 27, 2013 at 7:29 AM

FP – while I don’t think he’s conspiring with Swede Risberg, Johnson’s rapid turn from nails to suckitude is baffling. I am still waiting for Edward Mujica’s pixie dust to wear off but dude continues to be lights-out.

Now if only the team with the best record in baseball could put some daylight between the Reds and Pirates!

• proudlycanadian - May 27, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Yes it is really wrong to imply that he is taking bribes.

• nbjays - May 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I don’t think he’s taking bribes… I think he graduated head of the class at the Fernando Rodney School of Blown Saves.

• historiophiliac - May 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I was talking to my buddy who’s an O’s fan yesterday and he is also irked at Johnson. I said, this is how it was with the Tigers and V-Wiggles (great 2011, sucky 2012), and the Rays feel the same way now with Rodney. It’s hard to sustain that level of performance season after season. There is only one Mariano Rivera.

• proudlycanadian - May 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Top of the 9th today and it is Valverde time. Are you nervous?

2. Old Gator - May 27, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Other than to note that the Feesh ran the bases like they were participating in a country jamboree sack race instead of a designatedhitterball game, there’s not a lot to tell. Crummy pitching, a little spurt of enthusiastic comebacksmanship in the early innings, and that awful rowing towards losing yet again were the order of the day. They’re now on something like a 1-14 stretch, these Feesh, having followed up an exciting seven game losing streak with a new, possibly even more exciting five game losing streak. Exciting, that is, because you never know how many they’re gonna lose – anything is possible.

The bad news is that Tweeter is now playing in rehab games down on the farm, which means that, like Gradus in Pale Fire, he is…approaching….with his abysmal .164 RISP, just what these Feesh need. Imagine that a team could be so awful that the threatened return of yet another awful ballplayer qualifies as an event!

• proudlycanadian - May 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM

You can count on the Fish for their consistency and their smell. The only thing that I can think of that compares to them in the consistency and smell departments, is Harry.

• dan1111 - May 27, 2013 at 7:45 AM

“the Feesh ran the bases like they were participating in a country jamboree sack race”

Ha. That is pure gold.

• indaburg - May 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM

The good news for the Feesh is that according to Indametrics, I place the probability of a Feesh Kid No Hitter today at 50%.

• dondada10 - May 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Morning.

I was watching the Yankee telecast yesterday and I suddenly heard “Intro” by The Xx. It was Alex Cobb’s warm-up music. For that reason he is now my second favorite pitcher after Matt Harvey.

• indaburg - May 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Cobb is pretty bad ass. I like him too.

• Old Gator - May 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Any day Jose Fernandez peetches there’s a chance of a no-hitter, essep’ that I think there’s an innings limit or peetch count on the Kid. Esspeck the usual pattern for one of the Kid’s starts: five or six innings of low-scoring, low hit ball. Then, as the Kid leaves a tie game or up or down by a run, Redmond goes to the boolpen, and three innings later the Feesh losing streak is at seex games.

• nbjays - May 27, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Seems like anytime the Feesh play these days, there is a chance of a no-hitter… just not by a Feesh pitcher.

• Old Gator - May 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Theoretical question: if someone pitches a no-hitter against the Feesh and there’s no one in the stands to watch it, does it count?

• indaburg - May 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

A question for the ages. Philosophers much smarter than me will have to ponder that one.

• indaburg - May 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Speaking of no one being there–I will be taking a friend of mine, a great baseball fan, to tomorrow night’s game. She’s in town because her brother, also a friend, has been sick and just passed. She wants one more ball game before she returns back home this coming weekend. It’s therapy for her. Well, me too. That game is tomorrow night, Feesh vs. Rays, since the Rays are going on a road trip. I laughed and told her, “Haven’t you suffered enough, poor girl?” I told her for 10 bucks, we’ll get front row seats, and for $50, we might be able sit in the dugout.

• nbjays - May 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Hell, if you can pitch, bat or field, you might make the starting lineup.

• indaburg - May 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM

For the Feesh, probably.

3. aceshigh11 - May 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Awesome, awesome comeback for the Red Sox.

Ellsbury’s clutch double with the bases loaded was so sublime, it was like the ending to an overly-romanticized baseball movie.

Maybe hyperbolic, but it REALLY got me pumped up for some reason, even though it was just a regular-season game.

4. indaburg - May 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Thanks for the reminder, Craig. I’ll do my own moment of silence for those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, and for their family members too. I’ve been fortunate to not have lost anyone in my family to war, but I have lost a family friend. 19 years old in Iraq to an IED: http://www.sptimes.com/2005/10/06/Hillsborough/A_son_gone_too_soon.shtml. I’ll remember him. Nice kid. Cute.

I clicked on that link you provided and one irrelevant note. The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) is an awesome name.

5. nbjays - May 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Great walk off by ‘Saki-san and the Jays last night. Now to keep that momentum going against Craig’s Braves.

BTW, Happy Memorial Day to all my south-of-the-border HBT friends, from one who spent 27 years in uniform here in Canada. Take the time today to thank a veteran or a serving member of your armed services for all they have done for your country.

• Old Gator - May 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM

27 years in uniform. Boy, I hope you weren’t working at Dairy Queen all that time.

• nbjays - May 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM

LOL! Don’t be ri-DQ-lous, Gator!

It was an Air Force uniform, actually. I have heard people say it looked like a bus driver’s uniform, but never heard it compared to DQ.

6. Shayna - May 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I was at the Dome on Sunday and the game was an absolute melodrama. Watching Mune-san galumph around the bases after his walk-off hit will be a long-term joy.

And I join in wishing the USers reading this a meaningful Memorial Day. Up here on November 11 — our Remembrance Day — I am proud to wear a poppy to salute those who risked their lives in, among many other places, Europe during WWII. Were it not for the allied forces, my parents and grandparents would have been ashes on an empty Polish field. My deepest thanks to all of the military and their families.

7. historiophiliac - May 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Torii Hunter went Boom! yesterday, so that’s $1000 for tornado relief. Keep that coming. Scherzer was his normal awesomeness. The second inning was a perfect example of His Heterochromianess’ work under pressure. The inning started badly for him and the bases loaded, but then he regrouped and finished the inning in style. He makes you jelly the way he handles a jam. Mired in a painful hitting slump, Avila actually got a hit — with an RBI too. Apparently, Joe West asked him afterwards if he wanted the ball as a memento. That tells you two things: 1) Joe West does have a sense of humor, and 2) Don Kelly cannot rock those sunglasses.

• proudlycanadian - May 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Happy Memorial Day and good luck.

8. spudchukar - May 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Kozma! His bases clearing double countered a two run blast by Gonzales, and then for good measurement he added 3 more hits. But what has gone unrecognized is his glove. 1 error through May 26th. By a guy who committed 68 errors in his first two years in lower minor league ball. He isn’t flashy, and he doesn’t dazzle with great plays, but his sure handedness is instrumental in the Cards’ early success.

• historiophiliac - May 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Kozma!

• paperlions - May 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yeah, his defense has been solid to plus, he makes more than just the routine plays. He and Carpenter have looked good turning double plays. I think Kozma has more power coming once he adjusts to how guys are pitching him and he sees more hard stuff on the inner half, where he can crush it.

9. APBA Guy - May 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Standard issue A’s v. Astros game yesterday, with the Astros improved over their earlier “pathetic” designation to now current “lousy” status. They have a few guys who can play, they’ve rid themselves of many of their worst (though some still remain, like Carlos Pena), and there is no hope for most of their pitchers.

Birthday boy Bartolo “El Capitan” Colon touched 95 yesterday, making many observers deeply suspicious-of the Astros’ stadium gun-but his location was excellent. The A’s now 9-0 against the Astro’s, and 19-23 against the rest of the league, have in the past suffered significantly from Post Astros Series Syndrome (PASS), and must play harder to compete for a playoff spot: they don’t play Houston again until after the All Star Break.

Today is the first of 4 against the WC Gigantes, 2 at Oakland then 2 at AT&T. The Giants are playing well, tied for 1st in the NL West. The A’s throw Dan Straily who looked fabulous in his last start. Lots of interest this year as unusually both teams have winning records and playoff hopes. Great weather as usual so the Mausoleum should be full today, and for once, very few napping during the game.

1. M. Bumgarner (3953)