May 27, 2013, 9:38 PM EST
Yasmani Grandal showed plenty of promise as a rookie last season, but he was handed a 50-game suspension last fall after he tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone. However, now that Grandal has completed his punishment and a brief rehab assignment, Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the 24-year-old backstop will rejoin the Padres tomorrow night.
Acquired from the Reds in the Mat Latos deal in December of 2011, Grandal batted .297/.394/.469 with eight home runs, 36 RBI and an .863 OPS in 60 games with the Padres last season. Teammate Nick Hundley took a swipe at Grandal and his testosterone use earlier this month, but they’ll have to coexist behind the plate for now. However, it shouldn’t be long before Grandal gets the opportunity to run away with the starting job.
The Padres plan to send John Baker to Triple-A Tucson in order to make room for Grandal on the active roster.
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 20
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 17
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)