May 27, 2013, 9:38 PM EST
Yasmani Grandal showed plenty of promise as a rookie last season, but he was handed a 50-game suspension last fall after he tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone. However, now that Grandal has completed his punishment and a brief rehab assignment, Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the 24-year-old backstop will rejoin the Padres tomorrow night.
Acquired from the Reds in the Mat Latos deal in December of 2011, Grandal batted .297/.394/.469 with eight home runs, 36 RBI and an .863 OPS in 60 games with the Padres last season. Teammate Nick Hundley took a swipe at Grandal and his testosterone use earlier this month, but they’ll have to coexist behind the plate for now. However, it shouldn’t be long before Grandal gets the opportunity to run away with the starting job.
The Padres plan to send John Baker to Triple-A Tucson in order to make room for Grandal on the active roster.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)