May 27, 2013, 9:38 PM EDT
Yasmani Grandal showed plenty of promise as a rookie last season, but he was handed a 50-game suspension last fall after he tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone. However, now that Grandal has completed his punishment and a brief rehab assignment, Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the 24-year-old backstop will rejoin the Padres tomorrow night.
Acquired from the Reds in the Mat Latos deal in December of 2011, Grandal batted .297/.394/.469 with eight home runs, 36 RBI and an .863 OPS in 60 games with the Padres last season. Teammate Nick Hundley took a swipe at Grandal and his testosterone use earlier this month, but they’ll have to coexist behind the plate for now. However, it shouldn’t be long before Grandal gets the opportunity to run away with the starting job.
The Padres plan to send John Baker to Triple-A Tucson in order to make room for Grandal on the active roster.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 0
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 4
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)