May 28, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
Cubs prospect Arodys Vizcaino won’t pitch in 2013.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that the 22-year-old underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right elbow this week to clear out a calcium buildup and has been ruled out for the remainder of the 2013 campaign. Vizcaino had Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last March and did not pitch in 2012.
The talented Dominican was acquired by the Cubs last July 31 in a four-player deadline trade with the Braves that was headlined by Paul Maholm, who owns a nice 3.74 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 51/21 K/BB ratio through 67 1/3 innings this season with Atlanta.
Vizcaino registered a promising 3.06 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 100/28 K/BB ratio across 97 minor league frames in 2011. He has made Baseball America‘s Top 100 prospects list for four consecutive years.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59