May 28, 2013, 10:49 PM EST
Cubs prospect Arodys Vizcaino won’t pitch in 2013.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that the 22-year-old underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right elbow this week to clear out a calcium buildup and has been ruled out for the remainder of the 2013 campaign. Vizcaino had Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last March and did not pitch in 2012.
The talented Dominican was acquired by the Cubs last July 31 in a four-player deadline trade with the Braves that was headlined by Paul Maholm, who owns a nice 3.74 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 51/21 K/BB ratio through 67 1/3 innings this season with Atlanta.
Vizcaino registered a promising 3.06 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 100/28 K/BB ratio across 97 minor league frames in 2011. He has made Baseball America‘s Top 100 prospects list for four consecutive years.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40