May 28, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
Cubs prospect Arodys Vizcaino won’t pitch in 2013.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that the 22-year-old underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right elbow this week to clear out a calcium buildup and has been ruled out for the remainder of the 2013 campaign. Vizcaino had Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last March and did not pitch in 2012.
The talented Dominican was acquired by the Cubs last July 31 in a four-player deadline trade with the Braves that was headlined by Paul Maholm, who owns a nice 3.74 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 51/21 K/BB ratio through 67 1/3 innings this season with Atlanta.
Vizcaino registered a promising 3.06 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 100/28 K/BB ratio across 97 minor league frames in 2011. He has made Baseball America‘s Top 100 prospects list for four consecutive years.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17