May 28, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
Cubs prospect Arodys Vizcaino won’t pitch in 2013.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that the 22-year-old underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right elbow this week to clear out a calcium buildup and has been ruled out for the remainder of the 2013 campaign. Vizcaino had Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last March and did not pitch in 2012.
The talented Dominican was acquired by the Cubs last July 31 in a four-player deadline trade with the Braves that was headlined by Paul Maholm, who owns a nice 3.74 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 51/21 K/BB ratio through 67 1/3 innings this season with Atlanta.
Vizcaino registered a promising 3.06 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 100/28 K/BB ratio across 97 minor league frames in 2011. He has made Baseball America‘s Top 100 prospects list for four consecutive years.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)