May 28, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Many people would argue that the story of the early season has been Evan Gattis — El Oso Blanco — the Braves’ backup catcher who has seemingly come out of nowhere to put up some pretty impressive power numbers for a 26 year-old rookie. And with all of the attention on Gattis, it’s understandable if one overlooks the guy he backs up. That’d be Brian McCann, who smacked two homers today — one in the 10th inning — to lead the Braves past the Blue Jays 7-6 in a sloppy getaway day game.
The reason Gattis had the opportunity to become a story is because McCann started the season on the DL. But since he’s come back all he’s done is hit .281/.354/.614 with six home runs, 14 RBI and a .968 OPS in 16 games. That has left Gattis with less playing time, obviously. But not without opportunities to shine. He hit a homer today as he played behind the plate, giving McCann a chance to DH in the AL park.
As for the Braves and Jays, they do both getaway. Both to Atlanta, as they complete the final two games of their four-game series at Turner Field tomorrow and Thursday.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 42
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 119
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (119)