May 28, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Many people would argue that the story of the early season has been Evan Gattis — El Oso Blanco — the Braves’ backup catcher who has seemingly come out of nowhere to put up some pretty impressive power numbers for a 26 year-old rookie. And with all of the attention on Gattis, it’s understandable if one overlooks the guy he backs up. That’d be Brian McCann, who smacked two homers today — one in the 10th inning — to lead the Braves past the Blue Jays 7-6 in a sloppy getaway day game.
The reason Gattis had the opportunity to become a story is because McCann started the season on the DL. But since he’s come back all he’s done is hit .281/.354/.614 with six home runs, 14 RBI and a .968 OPS in 16 games. That has left Gattis with less playing time, obviously. But not without opportunities to shine. He hit a homer today as he played behind the plate, giving McCann a chance to DH in the AL park.
As for the Braves and Jays, they do both getaway. Both to Atlanta, as they complete the final two games of their four-game series at Turner Field tomorrow and Thursday.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 63
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)