May 28, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Making official what was expected, the Cardinals announced that they will call up top prospect Michael Wacha to start Thursday against the Royals.
Wacha was the 19th overall pick in last year’s draft out of Texas A&M and has been incredibly good in the minors with a 1.71 ERA and 74/19 K/BB ratio in 74 innings.
He’ll debut after 20 total appearances as a pro, including just 11 starts, but Wacha’s timetable was pushed up thanks to Chris Carpenter, Jake Westbrook, Jaime Garcia, and John Gast all being injured.
Coming into the season Wacha ranked as a top 100 prospect by both Baseball America and MLB.com and he posted a 2.05 ERA in nine starts at Triple-A, although his 34/15 K/BB ratio in 53 innings was underwhelming.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 4
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 18
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)