May 28, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Making official what was expected, the Cardinals announced that they will call up top prospect Michael Wacha to start Thursday against the Royals.
Wacha was the 19th overall pick in last year’s draft out of Texas A&M and has been incredibly good in the minors with a 1.71 ERA and 74/19 K/BB ratio in 74 innings.
He’ll debut after 20 total appearances as a pro, including just 11 starts, but Wacha’s timetable was pushed up thanks to Chris Carpenter, Jake Westbrook, Jaime Garcia, and John Gast all being injured.
Coming into the season Wacha ranked as a top 100 prospect by both Baseball America and MLB.com and he posted a 2.05 ERA in nine starts at Triple-A, although his 34/15 K/BB ratio in 53 innings was underwhelming.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)