May 28, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Making official what was expected, the Cardinals announced that they will call up top prospect Michael Wacha to start Thursday against the Royals.
Wacha was the 19th overall pick in last year’s draft out of Texas A&M and has been incredibly good in the minors with a 1.71 ERA and 74/19 K/BB ratio in 74 innings.
He’ll debut after 20 total appearances as a pro, including just 11 starts, but Wacha’s timetable was pushed up thanks to Chris Carpenter, Jake Westbrook, Jaime Garcia, and John Gast all being injured.
Coming into the season Wacha ranked as a top 100 prospect by both Baseball America and MLB.com and he posted a 2.05 ERA in nine starts at Triple-A, although his 34/15 K/BB ratio in 53 innings was underwhelming.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)