May 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Chris Perez underwent an MRI exam after being placed on the disabled list with a shoulder injury and the Indians announced that he’s been diagnosed with mild rotator cuff tendinitis.
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that the plan is for Perez to be totally shut down for 5-7 days, at which point he’ll try to resume throwing.
In the meantime Vinnie Pestano will take over as the Indians’ closer and considering how well he’s pitched in a setup role for multiple seasons could conceivably have a pretty tight grip on ninth-inning duties whenever Perez is ready to return.
And Perez won’t even be able to kill time on Twitter while he’s sidelined, because he deleted his account last week after getting nasty comments following back-to-back poor appearances.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 47
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 34
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)