May 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Chris Perez underwent an MRI exam after being placed on the disabled list with a shoulder injury and the Indians announced that he’s been diagnosed with mild rotator cuff tendinitis.
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that the plan is for Perez to be totally shut down for 5-7 days, at which point he’ll try to resume throwing.
In the meantime Vinnie Pestano will take over as the Indians’ closer and considering how well he’s pitched in a setup role for multiple seasons could conceivably have a pretty tight grip on ninth-inning duties whenever Perez is ready to return.
And Perez won’t even be able to kill time on Twitter while he’s sidelined, because he deleted his account last week after getting nasty comments following back-to-back poor appearances.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 42
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 48
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)