May 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Chris Perez underwent an MRI exam after being placed on the disabled list with a shoulder injury and the Indians announced that he’s been diagnosed with mild rotator cuff tendinitis.
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that the plan is for Perez to be totally shut down for 5-7 days, at which point he’ll try to resume throwing.
In the meantime Vinnie Pestano will take over as the Indians’ closer and considering how well he’s pitched in a setup role for multiple seasons could conceivably have a pretty tight grip on ninth-inning duties whenever Perez is ready to return.
And Perez won’t even be able to kill time on Twitter while he’s sidelined, because he deleted his account last week after getting nasty comments following back-to-back poor appearances.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)