May 28, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
This is in the form of a question because this New York Post article, while raising a potentially interesting question, provides little in the way of context with which we can answer it:
According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Mets charged Yankees family members $250 for last night’s Subway Series game. The fact the Mets charged the Braves $80 per seat Friday, Saturday and Sunday angered the Yankees, who host the Mets tomorrow and Thursday night.
On the surface it does sound like a bit of a price hike. But were the seats in the same place? Are weeknight tickets different than weekday? Are Yankees games on a different price tier than Braves games?
Maybe that doesn’t account for a 3x+ price hike, but I’d be curious to know more before I started making up clever tabloidy headlines about it.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 34
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)