May 28, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that top outfield prospect Oscar Taveras has been placed on the disabled list at Triple-A Memphis, more than two weeks after he suffered a right ankle injury while sliding hard into the second base bag.
Taveras has been able to jog lightly and perform some low-intensity agility drills, but the soreness in his ankle remains and the Memphis Redbirds didn’t want to play a man short for any longer. The talented 20-year-old should be cleared for live action soon.
Taveras was batting .317/.351/.480 with four homers, eight doubles and 20 RBI through his first 31 games this season at the Triple-A level. He hit .321/.380/.572 with 23 homers, 37 doubles and 94 RBI in 124 games last year for the Double-A Springfield Cardinals.
Taveras should make his way up to the major leagues at some point later this summer.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)