May 28, 2013, 7:22 PM EST
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that top outfield prospect Oscar Taveras has been placed on the disabled list at Triple-A Memphis, more than two weeks after he suffered a right ankle injury while sliding hard into the second base bag.
Taveras has been able to jog lightly and perform some low-intensity agility drills, but the soreness in his ankle remains and the Memphis Redbirds didn’t want to play a man short for any longer. The talented 20-year-old should be cleared for live action soon.
Taveras was batting .317/.351/.480 with four homers, eight doubles and 20 RBI through his first 31 games this season at the Triple-A level. He hit .321/.380/.572 with 23 homers, 37 doubles and 94 RBI in 124 games last year for the Double-A Springfield Cardinals.
Taveras should make his way up to the major leagues at some point later this summer.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)