Sure, Jonathan Papelbon would come back and play for the Red Sox

May 28, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT

Jonathan Papelbon Getty Images

There are no rumors that the Phillies are selling. Yet. But Rob Bradford of WEEI, having learned that the Red Sox are on Jonathan Papelbon‘s no-trade list, asked the Phillies closer whether he’d entertain a return to Beantown:

“Yeah, I could see myself in Boston,” he told WEEI.com. “I could see myself pitching in New York. You know me. I’ve always been the kind of guy who … I don’t really just settle, or accept things. Whatever happens in my future is going to happen. I’m not blind to that fact.”

On one level, a totally innocuous “this game is going to take you where it wants to take you and I just need to accept it” kind of answer. On another level, red meat for the Boston press which, after spending several years there, Papelbon probably shoulda realized would be made into a bigger deal than it really is.

Kind of a distraction. I mean, really, Red Sox fans are WAY more focused on trying to drum up “Cliff Lee to the Sox at the trade deadline” noise to allow this to get in the way.

1. DelawarePhilliesFan - May 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM

He is our guy, and as such, we have to root for him to do well – for now. But never been a fan of the guy, and this one gets added to the list. A list that started with his $50,000,058 contract. Just had to have that extra $58, so the contract could be even more about his ego.

In a perfect world, he and Madson would switch fates (i.e. Madson signed and is healthy with the Phillies, and Papelbohn hasn’t pitched since 2011 after turnign down a contract)

2. xpensivewinos - May 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM

The Red Sox would be better served trading for Huston Street.

Less money, less obligation, would require less in a deal to acquire him and is a way better human being.

• insidefastball - May 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Hand Street the ball in a serious pressure situation, such as a playoff game and it is almost a guaranteed blown save too. He is better off pitching in obscurity, away from the spotlight.

3. aceshigh11 - May 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Papelbon did a great job for the Red Sox while he was here, but he choked big-time in several key situations along the way during his last couple of years.

Add in his outsized personality, ego and contract, and he’s not worth the trouble at his age. His time with the organization has come and gone.

4. brpunker0421 - May 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM

The Red Sox have a closer. His name is Andrew Bailey, and he’s on my fantasy team. So, stop with the Pap talks. Take Lee. The guy’s team he’s on sucks. He’s not making the playoffs, so why do I care…

• ltzep75 - May 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I think the next time Bailey gets injured I may just start chanting “His name is Andrew Bailey. His name is Andrew Bailey. His name is…”

Then I will go to my fantasy baseball team and put him on the DL. At which point, I will have a drink.

5. pisano - May 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM

He can forget about N.Y. he’d be crucified if he gave up a few of his gopher balls in a closing situation as he did against the Yankees when he was with Boston. He also makes too much money, the Yankees are suppose to be in a cost cutting mode. We’ll see how far that goes.

6. hammyofdoom - May 28, 2013 at 11:35 AM

“I’d play where ever they paid me the most’ Come on Paps just admit it. You like money, its america, we get it.

7. bosoxfan1950 - May 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Papelbon’s exit from Boston was much like Ichabod Crane’s departure from Sleepy Hollow, a mad dash as if the Headless Horseman himself were after him. That didn’t sit well with the fans or the management or coaches. I doubt there’s is even a scintilla of a chance the Red Sox would attempt to bring him back. And if they did, the heating of tar and plucking of chickens would commence.

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (4223)