May 29, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
As first reported by the Tampa Bay Times‘ Marc Topkin, the Rays have scratched right-hander Alex Cobb from his start Friday against the Indians because of a small cut on his right hand that affects his grip when he throws offspeed pitches.
Matt Moore will slide from Thursday to Friday and recent call-up Alex Colome will fill in for Moore.
Cobb has been one of the best starting pitchers in baseball this season, boasting a 2.66 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 62/14 K/BB ratio through 10 starts. The cut should heal completely with treatment and time.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 36
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)