May 29, 2013, 10:27 PM EST
As first reported by the Tampa Bay Times‘ Marc Topkin, the Rays have scratched right-hander Alex Cobb from his start Friday against the Indians because of a small cut on his right hand that affects his grip when he throws offspeed pitches.
Matt Moore will slide from Thursday to Friday and recent call-up Alex Colome will fill in for Moore.
Cobb has been one of the best starting pitchers in baseball this season, boasting a 2.66 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 62/14 K/BB ratio through 10 starts. The cut should heal completely with treatment and time.
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 35
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 13
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)