May 29, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Weaver will return to the Anaheim starting rotation on Wednesday night against the Dodgers after missing the past seven weeks with a fracture in his left (glove-side) elbow. He pitched just once at extended spring training and did not make a minor league rehab start, but the 23-29 Angels are desperate to get back into the hunt in the American League West and decided not to wait any longer for the return of their ace.
Weaver had a 4.91 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 11 innings before hitting the shelf. He drew Cy Young Award votes in 2012 after posting a superb 2.81 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 142/45 K/BB ratio across 188 2/3 frames.
The Halos enter play Wednesday trailing the Rangers by nine games in the American League West.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)