May 29, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Weaver will return to the Anaheim starting rotation on Wednesday night against the Dodgers after missing the past seven weeks with a fracture in his left (glove-side) elbow. He pitched just once at extended spring training and did not make a minor league rehab start, but the 23-29 Angels are desperate to get back into the hunt in the American League West and decided not to wait any longer for the return of their ace.
Weaver had a 4.91 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 11 innings before hitting the shelf. He drew Cy Young Award votes in 2012 after posting a superb 2.81 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 142/45 K/BB ratio across 188 2/3 frames.
The Halos enter play Wednesday trailing the Rangers by nine games in the American League West.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)