May 29, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Weaver will return to the Anaheim starting rotation on Wednesday night against the Dodgers after missing the past seven weeks with a fracture in his left (glove-side) elbow. He pitched just once at extended spring training and did not make a minor league rehab start, but the 23-29 Angels are desperate to get back into the hunt in the American League West and decided not to wait any longer for the return of their ace.
Weaver had a 4.91 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 11 innings before hitting the shelf. He drew Cy Young Award votes in 2012 after posting a superb 2.81 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 142/45 K/BB ratio across 188 2/3 frames.
The Halos enter play Wednesday trailing the Rangers by nine games in the American League West.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)