May 29, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
Weaver will return to the Anaheim starting rotation on Wednesday night against the Dodgers after missing the past seven weeks with a fracture in his left (glove-side) elbow. He pitched just once at extended spring training and did not make a minor league rehab start, but the 23-29 Angels are desperate to get back into the hunt in the American League West and decided not to wait any longer for the return of their ace.
Weaver had a 4.91 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 11 innings before hitting the shelf. He drew Cy Young Award votes in 2012 after posting a superb 2.81 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 142/45 K/BB ratio across 188 2/3 frames.
The Halos enter play Wednesday trailing the Rangers by nine games in the American League West.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)