May 29, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Weaver will return to the Anaheim starting rotation on Wednesday night against the Dodgers after missing the past seven weeks with a fracture in his left (glove-side) elbow. He pitched just once at extended spring training and did not make a minor league rehab start, but the 23-29 Angels are desperate to get back into the hunt in the American League West and decided not to wait any longer for the return of their ace.
Weaver had a 4.91 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 11 innings before hitting the shelf. He drew Cy Young Award votes in 2012 after posting a superb 2.81 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 142/45 K/BB ratio across 188 2/3 frames.
The Halos enter play Wednesday trailing the Rangers by nine games in the American League West.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)