May 29, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Brett Lawrie exited Monday’s game with a sprained left ankle and now the Blue Jays have placed him on the disabled list.
Lawrie also spent part of April on the DL with a rib cage injury and has hit just .209 with five homers and a .642 OPS in 37 games when healthy enough to play. Mark DeRosa drew the start at third base in Lawrie’s absence yesterday, but the 38-year-old has hit just .206 as a part-timer this season and hasn’t topped a .750 OPS since way back in 2009.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 41
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)