May 29, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Brandon Beachy is almost fully recovered from last June’s Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery.
According to Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the right-hander threw five scoreless innings Wednesday afternoon in his second minor league rehab start with Low-A Rome and is currently in line to make his season debut for the Braves on June 18 — after only three more rehab outings.
“If there are no setbacks or anything, it would be a perfect fit,” Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said of the current June 18 target date. “But we know about perfect fits, and that’s why I do all my stuff in pencil.”
Beachy has experienced no lingering discomfort in his surgically-repaired elbow up to this point. He had an ace-like 2.00 ERA, 0.96 WHIP and 68/29 K/BB ratio in 81 innings last season before going under the knife.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 74
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)