May 29, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Brandon Beachy is almost fully recovered from last June’s Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery.
According to Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the right-hander threw five scoreless innings Wednesday afternoon in his second minor league rehab start with Low-A Rome and is currently in line to make his season debut for the Braves on June 18 — after only three more rehab outings.
“If there are no setbacks or anything, it would be a perfect fit,” Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said of the current June 18 target date. “But we know about perfect fits, and that’s why I do all my stuff in pencil.”
Beachy has experienced no lingering discomfort in his surgically-repaired elbow up to this point. He had an ace-like 2.00 ERA, 0.96 WHIP and 68/29 K/BB ratio in 81 innings last season before going under the knife.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (226)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)