May 29, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
Jean Segura tied a Brewers record Tuesday by going 6-for-7 in a 14-inning loss to the Twins.
All of Segura’s hits were singles. The last was a liner to right that would have been caught by a better defender than Ryan Doumit, but it was still hit pretty sharply. It made him the first player with six hits in a game since Adrian Gonzalez got there for the Padres on Aug. 11, 2009, against the Brewers.
Other six-hit facts:
– Segura is the third Brewer to collect six hits in a game. John Briggs was the first, going 6-for-6 on Aug. 4, 1973. Kevin Reimer also did it in the second game of a doubleheader on Aug. 24, 1993. Apparently, it’s a once-every-twenty-years kind of thing.
– He became the first shortstop with six hits since Cleveland’s Omar Vizquel in 2004.
– He’s the first to do it in a losing cause since Boston’s Nomar Garciaparra on June 21, 2003. The Red Sox lost to the Phillies 6-5 in 13 innings that day. The Brewers lost to the Twins 6-5 in 14 innings tonight. In the 13 six-hit games in between Garciaparra’s and Segura’s, the teams have all scored at least 10 runs.
Segura reclaimed the NL lead in batting average from Joey Votto tonight, upping his mark from .347 to .365. With eight homers and 14 steals already, the 23-year-old is looking like a sure bet to make the All-Star team in his first full major league season. Unfortunately, he just missed out on Rookie of the Year eligibility, having gotten 151 at-bats last year.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)