May 29, 2013, 1:07 AM EST
Jean Segura tied a Brewers record Tuesday by going 6-for-7 in a 14-inning loss to the Twins.
All of Segura’s hits were singles. The last was a liner to right that would have been caught by a better defender than Ryan Doumit, but it was still hit pretty sharply. It made him the first player with six hits in a game since Adrian Gonzalez got there for the Padres on Aug. 11, 2009, against the Brewers.
Other six-hit facts:
- Segura is the third Brewer to collect six hits in a game. John Briggs was the first, going 6-for-6 on Aug. 4, 1973. Kevin Reimer also did it in the second game of a doubleheader on Aug. 24, 1993. Apparently, it’s a once-every-twenty-years kind of thing.
- He became the first shortstop with six hits since Cleveland’s Omar Vizquel in 2004.
- He’s the first to do it in a losing cause since Boston’s Nomar Garciaparra on June 21, 2003. The Red Sox lost to the Phillies 6-5 in 13 innings that day. The Brewers lost to the Twins 6-5 in 14 innings tonight. In the 13 six-hit games in between Garciaparra’s and Segura’s, the teams have all scored at least 10 runs.
Segura reclaimed the NL lead in batting average from Joey Votto tonight, upping his mark from .347 to .365. With eight homers and 14 steals already, the 23-year-old is looking like a sure bet to make the All-Star team in his first full major league season. Unfortunately, he just missed out on Rookie of the Year eligibility, having gotten 151 at-bats last year.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 91
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 27
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 257
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)