May 29, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
Jean Segura tied a Brewers record Tuesday by going 6-for-7 in a 14-inning loss to the Twins.
All of Segura’s hits were singles. The last was a liner to right that would have been caught by a better defender than Ryan Doumit, but it was still hit pretty sharply. It made him the first player with six hits in a game since Adrian Gonzalez got there for the Padres on Aug. 11, 2009, against the Brewers.
Other six-hit facts:
– Segura is the third Brewer to collect six hits in a game. John Briggs was the first, going 6-for-6 on Aug. 4, 1973. Kevin Reimer also did it in the second game of a doubleheader on Aug. 24, 1993. Apparently, it’s a once-every-twenty-years kind of thing.
– He became the first shortstop with six hits since Cleveland’s Omar Vizquel in 2004.
– He’s the first to do it in a losing cause since Boston’s Nomar Garciaparra on June 21, 2003. The Red Sox lost to the Phillies 6-5 in 13 innings that day. The Brewers lost to the Twins 6-5 in 14 innings tonight. In the 13 six-hit games in between Garciaparra’s and Segura’s, the teams have all scored at least 10 runs.
Segura reclaimed the NL lead in batting average from Joey Votto tonight, upping his mark from .347 to .365. With eight homers and 14 steals already, the 23-year-old is looking like a sure bet to make the All-Star team in his first full major league season. Unfortunately, he just missed out on Rookie of the Year eligibility, having gotten 151 at-bats last year.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 9
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)