May 29, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Carlos Zambrano saw his first official game action as a member of the Phillies organization yesterday, tossing 4.1 innings of shutout ball at high Single-A Clearwater.
Zambrano had two strikeouts and two walks, so he wasn’t exactly dominant, but afterward the 31-year-old right-hander told David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News that he thinks the Phillies ought to call him up right now:
I’m ready. They are in control. My agent has been in touch with Mr. Ruben [Amaro] and we’ll see what happens. I’m ready. I’m ready to help this team. … I was at my house doing nothing and now I have a job with one of the best teams in baseball, a team with good fans, a team that is competing every year. I like that. I like the chemistry. I like the system. I thank God that I’m here.
I’ll let Zambrano slide on the whole “one of the best teams in baseball” thing, because technically at 25-27 the Phillies are one of the best 20 or so teams in baseball.
Murphy writes that an immediate call-up is unlikely, in part because Zambrano threw just 81 pitches yesterday and in part because the Phillies need to decide which options they like best at the back of the rotation. And of course the fact that Zambrano hasn’t actually pitched well in two years is also part of the decision-making process.
Zambrano’s minor-league contract has a July 1 opt-out clause if he’s not in the majors, but the way he’s talking already it’s hard to believe he’ll be a happy campy still pitching in the minors by then.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)