May 29, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Carlos Zambrano saw his first official game action as a member of the Phillies organization yesterday, tossing 4.1 innings of shutout ball at high Single-A Clearwater.
Zambrano had two strikeouts and two walks, so he wasn’t exactly dominant, but afterward the 31-year-old right-hander told David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News that he thinks the Phillies ought to call him up right now:
I’m ready. They are in control. My agent has been in touch with Mr. Ruben [Amaro] and we’ll see what happens. I’m ready. I’m ready to help this team. … I was at my house doing nothing and now I have a job with one of the best teams in baseball, a team with good fans, a team that is competing every year. I like that. I like the chemistry. I like the system. I thank God that I’m here.
I’ll let Zambrano slide on the whole “one of the best teams in baseball” thing, because technically at 25-27 the Phillies are one of the best 20 or so teams in baseball.
Murphy writes that an immediate call-up is unlikely, in part because Zambrano threw just 81 pitches yesterday and in part because the Phillies need to decide which options they like best at the back of the rotation. And of course the fact that Zambrano hasn’t actually pitched well in two years is also part of the decision-making process.
Zambrano’s minor-league contract has a July 1 opt-out clause if he’s not in the majors, but the way he’s talking already it’s hard to believe he’ll be a happy campy still pitching in the minors by then.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 69
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 23
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)