May 29, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
That means Fujikawa will miss the remainder of this season and likely be sidelined well into 2014 as well. After eight seasons as a dominant reliever in Japan, where he posted an incredible 1.26 ERA in 541 innings, Fujikawa signed a two-year, $9.5 million deal with the Cubs this offseason.
If healthy he likely would have been in line to replace Carlos Marmol as closer at some point, but Fujikawa has been dealing with arm problems all season and allowed seven runs in 11 innings in between disabled list stints.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 4
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 237
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)