Derek Jeter has been cleared to play catch

May 29, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT

jeter coffee getty Getty Images

From Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger:

NEW YORK – Derek Jeter emerged from the Yankees dugout around 4:45 p.m. on Wednesday, intent on completing his first on-field activity since an April examination revealed a second fracture in his left ankle. While his teammates took batting practice, Jeter played catch.

“I thought I would be back a long time ago,” Jeter said later in a chat with reporters. “I’m almost about out of patience. But I’m trying.”

The veteran shortstop is hoping to begin fielding grounders within the next few days and is on track to begin swinging a bat at some point next week. Jeter, who suffered a broken left ankle last October and cracked it again in mid-April, is currently aiming to return to the Yankees’ active roster shortly after the All-Star break.

Yankees shortstops have hit just .214/.288/.289 this season. Jeter batted .316/.362/.429 in 2012.

1. proudlycanadian - May 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Cleared to catch what?

• ditto65 - May 29, 2013 at 9:23 PM

You know what. Meow.

Collect your gift basket in the car.

• tfbuckfutter - May 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM

So he puts the herpes directly in the gift basket?

2. tfbuckfutter - May 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Has he been cleared to pick out his own clothes?

I know mommy loves the little sailor outfit but c’mon man.

• sandpiperair - May 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Don’t talk that way about Philip.

• yankees218 - May 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Please, he could wear a garbage bag and still rock it. Lets not even go there…

3. dawgpoundmember - May 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Is he going to play catch with Mo?

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM

At this point I would rather see Jeter with a peg-leg than the dreck the Yankees have been running out at short.

Maybe the Yankees could sign Philip to fill in while Jeter is out.

• tfbuckfutter - May 29, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I don’t know.

A peg leg could really affect his range.

It could go from 0 to…..oh, wait, nevermind.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM

The range I care about is going from the batter’s box to first base (or better). Perhaps Nix/Nunez/Brignac have superior chops with the glove (debatable in some cases) but Jeter can whoop on all three combined with the stick.

5. psousa1 - May 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Too bad he couldn’t have rounded up a couple of more and played a little ‘Rundown’.

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

‘Rundown?” We call it “hot box” or “pickle” in our neck o’ da’ woods.

6. stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Whew!. I am glad he has been cleared to play catch. This is progress. I was really starting to worry.

*s/

7. bleedrangerblue - May 30, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Yay! I can play catch!!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3632)