Dustin Pedroia has been playing with a torn thumb ligament

May 29, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

Dustin Pedroia Getty Getty Images

Scrappy players don’t need intact ulnar collateral ligaments in their thumbs. The Boston Herald reports that Pedoria’s has been completely torn since Opening Day and that he doesn’t really care:

“People shouldn’t know if you’re 100 percent or not. It is what it is, and it’s my responsibility to perform well,’’ Pedroia said before taking his usual spot at second base against the Phillies. “My mindset is if I’m nicked up, I have to find other ways to perform. That’s the way I think about it. Maybe I’m crazy.’’

He tore it sliding into first base agains the Yankees on April 1. Never slide into first base, kids. But if you do, be sure that you’re good enough to put up a line of .332/.422/.444 without missing a game like Pedroia has done.

1. mybrunoblog - May 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Along with the other adjectives we use for him Pedroia must now forever be known as “gritty”

• shaggylocks - May 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM

The Diamondbacks must be counting the days until he becomes a free agent. He’s a gritty ball club’s wet dream!

• stex52 - May 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM

So gritty can be good. We just need to keep that adjective out of the hands of idiot sports writers.

• geoknows - May 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I thought he already was.

• petey1999 - May 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Pedroia = f(tWtW)

2. zwilhelm16 - May 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Dude is just awesome!

• patsandsox - May 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I believe his thumb was messed up last year so I wonder if it never healed? They sure do not seem to have the greatest dr’s working for the team. So many injuries over the years, I can’t all just be bad luck can it?

And yes he is gritty, look at that beard.

3. ILoveBaseball - May 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Imagine how good Cano would be if he played with Pedroia’s atiitude.

• patsandsox - May 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Cano is a damn good ballplayer. The Yankees should make him rich soon. He is one of the few young ones they have.
      I love how both the Sox and the Yankees proved the know it alls in the media wrong this year.

• aceshigh11 - May 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I love Pedroia, but I don’t think Cano has been anything other than awesome for the Yankees.

• ILoveBaseball - May 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I don’t disagree. He could be better.

• patsandsox - May 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Cano is awesome I was trying to say that. He does it all.

4. shaggylocks - May 29, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Damn it, I bet this is going to come back and bite him in the ass later this season.

5. hammyofdoom - May 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM

With a torn ligament in his hand he’s still on pace for over 40 doubles and around 10 home runs. Imagine what’ll happen if/when it gets a little better… Think I’m really starting to take Pedroia’s awesomeness for granted seeing him play every day

6. drewsylvania - May 29, 2013 at 12:08 PM

As long as the team doctors knew about it and signed off on it (instead of what Youk did three years ago, hiding it).

But then, these are the Sox doctors. They’d probably miss a rectal-cranial inversion.

• patsandsox - May 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM

They could cant even read an xray (ask Ellsbury)

• patsandsox - May 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM

should say they cant even read an xray

I have to start proof reading

7. hojo20 - May 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Was it hurt sliding into 1B on a pickoff play or running from home plate?

• gib626 - May 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM

• stlouis1baseball - May 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM

“Trying to beat out a single in the 8th inning of a game they were winning 8-2 at the time.”

This is the reason Dustin Pedroia would be the my 1st choice for a 2nd Baseman if given the opportunity to form a team. Of course…his stick and glove aren’t too shabby either.

8. insidefastball - May 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Memo to MLB players: Stop sliding into first base. This has become an epidemic over the last 5 years.

9. patsandsox - May 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Cano is awesome and I can understand anyone picking him, but I would to take Dustin for his heart and his talent to be my second baseman if I was starting a team.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3931)