May 29, 2013, 1:50 PM EST
To replace Young on the active roster the Phillies called up Cesar Hernandez, a 23-year-old middle infielder who’ll be making his MLB debut after spending seven seasons in the minors. Hernandez was hitting .308 at Triple-A and is a career .292 hitter, but has very little power or plate discipline.
Young has struggled in his first season away from Texas, hitting just .254 with a .700 OPS in 51 games while grounding into a league-high 12 double plays.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27