May 29, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
To replace Young on the active roster the Phillies called up Cesar Hernandez, a 23-year-old middle infielder who’ll be making his MLB debut after spending seven seasons in the minors. Hernandez was hitting .308 at Triple-A and is a career .292 hitter, but has very little power or plate discipline.
Young has struggled in his first season away from Texas, hitting just .254 with a .700 OPS in 51 games while grounding into a league-high 12 double plays.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)