May 29, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
To replace Young on the active roster the Phillies called up Cesar Hernandez, a 23-year-old middle infielder who’ll be making his MLB debut after spending seven seasons in the minors. Hernandez was hitting .308 at Triple-A and is a career .292 hitter, but has very little power or plate discipline.
Young has struggled in his first season away from Texas, hitting just .254 with a .700 OPS in 51 games while grounding into a league-high 12 double plays.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)