May 29, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
To replace Young on the active roster the Phillies called up Cesar Hernandez, a 23-year-old middle infielder who’ll be making his MLB debut after spending seven seasons in the minors. Hernandez was hitting .308 at Triple-A and is a career .292 hitter, but has very little power or plate discipline.
Young has struggled in his first season away from Texas, hitting just .254 with a .700 OPS in 51 games while grounding into a league-high 12 double plays.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 12
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 52
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 180
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (180)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (113)