May 29, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
The Dodgers made big news a couple of months ago when they agreed to a whopping $7 billion TV deal with Time Warner. The deal has not become official yet because the Dodgers had not submitted it to MLB for review, fearing that it might not be approved because it attempts to shield more money from revenue sharing than is typically allowed.
The New York Post reports that those fears have forced a reworking of the deal. It still pays out $7 billion, but around a billion more than expected is going to go towards revenue sharing. There are some fears, the Post reports, that this could impact the Dodgers’ ability to meet its debt service obligations. Which, my heavens, how on earth could that ever happen to an owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers?
In other news, the Post reports that the team’s owners may have used money from their insurance company holdings to finance the purchase of the team, which is a no-no and may cause them to have to move more money back to the insurance side.
Gee, it’s almost as if buying a baseball team for $2 billion was a risky and complicated endeavor.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)