May 29, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The Dodgers made big news a couple of months ago when they agreed to a whopping $7 billion TV deal with Time Warner. The deal has not become official yet because the Dodgers had not submitted it to MLB for review, fearing that it might not be approved because it attempts to shield more money from revenue sharing than is typically allowed.
The New York Post reports that those fears have forced a reworking of the deal. It still pays out $7 billion, but around a billion more than expected is going to go towards revenue sharing. There are some fears, the Post reports, that this could impact the Dodgers’ ability to meet its debt service obligations. Which, my heavens, how on earth could that ever happen to an owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers?
In other news, the Post reports that the team’s owners may have used money from their insurance company holdings to finance the purchase of the team, which is a no-no and may cause them to have to move more money back to the insurance side.
Gee, it’s almost as if buying a baseball team for $2 billion was a risky and complicated endeavor.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 1
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 19
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 346
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 81
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 53
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)