May 29, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
The Dodgers made big news a couple of months ago when they agreed to a whopping $7 billion TV deal with Time Warner. The deal has not become official yet because the Dodgers had not submitted it to MLB for review, fearing that it might not be approved because it attempts to shield more money from revenue sharing than is typically allowed.
The New York Post reports that those fears have forced a reworking of the deal. It still pays out $7 billion, but around a billion more than expected is going to go towards revenue sharing. There are some fears, the Post reports, that this could impact the Dodgers’ ability to meet its debt service obligations. Which, my heavens, how on earth could that ever happen to an owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers?
In other news, the Post reports that the team’s owners may have used money from their insurance company holdings to finance the purchase of the team, which is a no-no and may cause them to have to move more money back to the insurance side.
Gee, it’s almost as if buying a baseball team for $2 billion was a risky and complicated endeavor.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)