Wait, that dude was a catcher?

May 29, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT

Catcher equipment

Chad Finn of the Boston Globe plays one of my favorite games: “remember when that guy used to play a different position?”

Everyone remembers Craig Biggio and Dale Murphy the catcher. But  Carlos Delgado? Raul Ibanez? You may or may not have known, intellectually, that those guys once donned the tools of ignorance, but seeing a picture of their young selves catching is kind of unsettling. Actually, seeing ANY picture of a young Raul Ibanez is unsettling. I think he has been old since he was born.

Lots of former shortstops and stuff too. Kinda weird. Really cool.

1. ryand17 - May 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I immediately clicked that article hoping there would be a picture of Raul Ibanez as a rookie sporting some hilarious 80’s hair cut. Seems he was bald as a rookie. Google doesn’t have a single picture of him with hair either. The closest thing I found was Ichiro. I think that guy really was born 35 years old.

2. lyon810 - May 29, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Ryan Braun, third basemen

3. proudlycanadian - May 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM

As minor league catcher, Delgado hit very well, but his catching skills were inadequate for a MLB catcher.

• proudlycanadian - May 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Former Blue Jay catcher Pat Borders who was the MVP in the 1992 World Series was drafted as a third baseman / outfielder.

• unclemosesgreen - May 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I’m replying directly to pc but I’m sort of using this as a clarion call to all of the neighbors from the north: have you clicked through the article and then read it to the end? Because I had a bit of shock there – can’t believe so many Canucks posted comments without commenting on the last picture. The last card was the most shocking for me personally.

• proudlycanadian - May 29, 2013 at 8:35 PM

We saw that picture of Claude. A Bruins coach is not worth commenting on.

• unclemosesgreen - May 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM

He’s from Blind River, Ontario – but have it your way.

• proudlycanadian - May 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Blind River is almost in Michigan.

• unclemosesgreen - May 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Macondo is almost in Cuba by that logic.

• forsch31 - May 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM

And Buffalo, New York, is almost in Canada.

“Almost” only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

4. jaysfan64 - May 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I remember the Jays putting their then prized prospect Delgado in to catch a couple innings with about 2 games or so left in ’93, I think..(AL East title was clinched of course).. he didn’t look out of place but I remember thinking they had to get him out from behind the plate if he had a hope of having a long productive career..they tried him in LF before they finally settled on first (after they traded Olerud for basically nothing)…a classic Gord Ash transaction…

• proudlycanadian - May 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

My memory is a bit hazy about Delgado’s experience catching for the Jays. One of us is right and I have no idea which one of us is correct. He certainly needed more seasoning in the minors, before he finally stuck with the team.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 30, 2013 at 8:48 AM

According to bref he got at least one game in at catcher in ’94.

5. Old Gator - May 29, 2013 at 6:16 PM

That photo looks like the exoskeleton of one of those giant hissing South American roaches.

6. jaysfan64 - May 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM

PC – I think Delgado only caught a game or 2 at the MLB level but you’re right – his D was a large liability in Syracuse – game calling, mechanics were the big issues if I remember right – he was essentially a bat without a real position..the game I saw he didn’t look that bad but it was the 8th or 9th inning of a blowout after the pennant was clinched so that doesn’t say much…

7. hojo20 - May 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I believe I saw Pedroia play SS @ Pawtucket 6-7 years ago.

• unclemosesgreen - May 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Great job outta hojo – Pedroia played SS for the Sox in the minors until he teamed up with Hanley Ramirez. Then once Hanley got traded to the Marlins, they moved him back to SS, where he played in 2006 for Pawtucket.

His opening with the big club came at 2B because they declined to resign Mark Loretta and signed the immortal Julio Lugo as a free agent to play SS. Julio frickin Lugo.

Even though the Sox kept Pedroia at SS for as long as they could, his arm was always deemed a little … err … short for the position. Sorry, had to.

8. jaysfan64 - May 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM

The last one was funny, I thought…

• unclemosesgreen - May 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM

That’s what I’m talking aboot!

9. thebigtim2012 - May 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Remember when sabathia was in shape? Yea me neither

10. thebigtim2012 - May 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Whoa whoa whoa there canuck! Am I missing something is there a reason to bring the bruins into this? Sorry the leafs are playing curling or whatever it is you guys do instead if golf up there in the offseason, but a little more class from the losing team ok? Sorry not ok, eh?

11. rufuscornpone - May 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I love that Mark McGwire went 7-5 with a sub-3.00 ERA on the same USC squad as Randy Johnson.

• rufuscornpone - May 29, 2013 at 11:05 PM

…which also reminds me: Jose Canseco’s twin brother Ozzie was a pitcher for three years in the Yankees organization and ended his minor league career going 14-19 with a 3.75 ERA.

12. sawxalicious - May 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Back when I was a kid and Delgado started slugging, I imagined this card would go for hundreds of dollars today:

Alas, it is listed at the steep price of $.95…. :(

P.S. my Darryl Strawberry rookie card won’t be putting my kids through college; probably wouldn’t even cover a meal at the cafeteria…

13. commish625 - May 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Paul Konerko was a catcher in the Dodgers organization.before he moved to first base.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3472)