And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

May 30, 2013, 7:11 AM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Players who hit multiple home runs in a game are the new inefficiency. Teams should definitely stock up on those guys while they’re undervalued.

Cubs 9, White Sox 3: Backup catcher Dioner Navarro smacked three homers — a solo, a two-run and a three-run jack — to pace the Cubbies. A Cubbies team who happen to have a +1 run differential despite a record of 21-30. That doesn’t mean a ton in a mere 51 games and I doubt it will be sustainable, but it is an “aw, neat” kind of thing.

Orioles 9, Nationals 6: Three homers for Ryan Zimmerman too. Unfortunately not enough for the Nats, as his partner in Zimmermanness — Jordan — got rocked for seven runs in six innings. Chris Davis had two homers of his own and the O’s pen tossed four and a third shutout innings in relief of Chris Tillman.

Phillies 4, Red Sox 3: Dom Brown hit two homers to add to his great month of May. A weird month of May too. He has 10 home runs this month but no walks. Maybe pitchers ought to stop throwing him strikes? Just a suggestion! Ryan Howard also went yard, breaking an extremely long home run drought for him.

Indians 5, Reds 2: Mark Reynolds and Jason Giambi each hit homers and Justin Masterson allowed only one run in six innings for his eighth win of the year. The Indians snap a five game losing streak.

Pirates 5, Tigers 3: Anibal Sanchez almost no-hit the Twins his last time out. This time he was far more mortal as the Pirates plated five runs off him in six and two thirds. Wait, one can’t be “more mortal.” One is either mortal or immortal. Being “more mortal” is like being “more pregnant.”

Mets 9, Yankees 4:Ruben Tejada and Ike Davis were called into a meeting the other day and were told they could be sent down to Las Vegas. It’s even being reported that, had the Mets not rallied against Mariano Rivera on Tuesday night, the demotions would’ve happened. Now, I have no idea what difference the rally against Rivera made — how can a weird fluke like that determine personnel decisions? — but it did get them a reprieve. And last night Tejada led off the game with a hit an scored and Davis drove in two in the first inning. David Phelps only recorded one out before he was yanked. Ivan Nova later pitched five solid innings in relief. Let’s pretend they were flip-flopped and this was a bullpen implosion. Makes for better copy. That’s four losses in a row for the Yankees. Maybe they’ve reached the limits of what no-names can do for them.

Blue Jays 3, Braves 0: The Jays went with a committee approach to pitching in this game, starting a reliever and having no one go more than three and a third innings, and it friggin’ worked to the tune of a four-hit shutout. Braves starter Kris Medlen left the game after being hit on the calf with a comebacker but he’s expected to make his next start. Of course, given that there’s a chance he goes to the pen when Brandon Beachy comes back, I’m gonna call this yet another bullpen injury for Atlanta.

Rays 3, Marlins 1: Eight straight losses for the Marlins. Thank god they got rid of all of those players who made them stink last year. Fauxsto Carmona allowed but an unearned run in eight and two-thirds. There should be someone keeping track of how many Marlins game stories talk about the opposing pitchers seemingly figuring something out or taking a strong step forward with little or no acknowledgment that facing these minor league bats is the most relevant factor.

Twins 4, Brewers 1: Aaron Hicks hit a homer and had a nice, home run-saving catch. I feel like I’ve written that before very recently.

Angels 4, Dodgers 3: Jered Weaver returns and pitches six one-run innings. Well, one one-run inning and five in which he allowed no runs. Six one-run innings would be dreadful.

Cardinals 5, Royals 3: Remember when the Royals won spring training and started pretty good and some people were all like “hey, here come the Royals?” Hahaha, that was awesome. Aaron Crow was rocked for four runs in a nightmare eighth inning. Matt Holliday and Carlos Beltran each homered for the second straight game.

Astros 6, Rockies 3: Tyler Chatwood struck out ten guys in six innings but Erik Bedard matched him in the more important runs allowed column and the Astros got to the Colorado pen. A homer and a safety squeeze helped Houston in their three-run ninth.

Padres 3, Mariners 2: Eric Stultz was dominant for eight innings, striking out 12, but the Padres bats couldn’t make anything happen against Joe Saunders. Will Venable hit a walkoff single in the tenth, however. Very little offense on a cool night in San Diego. Who woulda thunk it?

Athletics 9, Giants 6: The A’s are on fire, winners of six straight. This one wasn’t easy, though: it was a seesaw affair that lasted nearly four hours. As for the Giants, Bruce Bochy said this:

“We pretty much covered all facets of the game tonight as far as not playing well.”

At least they were thorough?

Diamondbacks vs. Rangers: POSTPONED: In the twilight glow I see them. Blue eyes cryin’ in the rain. When we kissed goodbye and parted. I knew we’d never meet again. Love is like a dyin’ ember. Only memories remain. Through the ages I’ll remember. Blue eyes cryin’ in the rain. Some day when we meet up yonder. We’ll stroll hand in hand again. In a land that knows no partin’. Blue eyes cryin’ in the rain. Now my hair has turned to silver. All my life I’ve loved in vain. I can see her star in heaven. Blue eyes crying in the rain.

118 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. kcrobert10 - May 30, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Another day another royals loss. It may be time to fire people it has gotten ugly fast.

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Come on out and visit Macondo during the spring monsoons if you want to see what ugly really looks like.

• heyblueyoustink - May 30, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Isn’t that when you and Comrade Holder play “Obgon” into the wee hours of the night?

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Well, why not just wait until the sanctimonious bellyaching dies down and we have a chance to see what evidence Comrade Holder presented to what, two or three different judges who issued the search warrants? Lost in the usual mindless noise congress generates when it wants a major distraction from all the other work it no longer seems competent to do – on either side of the aisle – is the fact that due process was, apparently, scrupulously followed. If there genuinely were important security leaks, crimes may well have been committed. The press has certain immunities, yes, but collaboration with impunity in criminal activities isn’t one of them.

• heyblueyoustink - May 30, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Typical. Huff Po suggested he tender his resignation. I was just wondering how fringe you get.

Got my answer. Much like Westboro, it’s hard to take you seriously, despite all the experience you have.

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM

What, exactly, is “fringe” about suggesting that due process run its course? You want to force major governmental change based on rumor, innuendo, incomplete information, the congressional equivalent of mob hysteria and the divine pronouncements of the Huffington Post? We do have institutions in congress and the judiciary for sorting through this stuff. Or would you prefer to have rule by the editorial writers of newspaper blogs?

• heyblueyoustink - May 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I would prefer a government in fear of it’s constituents, not the other way around.

You’re going to sit here and tell me none of this stinks? That’s fine. Free country as far as i’m concerned.

I was almost hoping you would at least smell the rotten odor of some of this stuff stretching back to the “Drones can kill Citizens without court approval” memo, which was slid by in a sly manner, or at least attempted to. I’ve been pondering how far off center you actually stood stretching from some of your commentary regarding the “God Bless America” post earlier this week.

I’ve always found you to be very intelligent, with a wealth of experience ( arrested in riots in the 60′s is a badge of honor as far as i’m concerned ) and some very sound reasoning on just about everything you have to say.

I pushed because I wanted to see how far off you stood. Sorry for the irritation, I doubt you’ll hear a challenge of any sorts from me again. Try as I can to avoid arguments with absoluters, it reveals nothing except human nastiness.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Or, blue, we could see government as a tool operated by citizens for the benefit of citizens (rather than the enemy). I am no more in favor of spying on reporters than I was of the previous administration turning librarians into snoops. I am inclined to see patriotism as the cause of the problem here. The same spirit that requires you to re-up your nationalism after a mere 7 innings of ball is the same kind of obeisance that causes bureaucrats to put the State before its people.

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Um – Blue, where exactly did I say that I don’t think this stinks? I want to know what happened. Unless you’re sitting in on the judiciary or intelligence committee in either House, you surely don’t. You have an unpleasant sensation in your olfactory center, which your comments remind us is not the same part of your brain where logic is processed. You seem to want a rush to judgment. Not me. That is how tyrrany forms.

These facile comments about whether government should fear the people, of who should fear who, all leave me cold. They’re just mindless sound bites crafted to sound much more clever than they really are, and they actually drive a wedge between the people and their representatives more than anything else, which is, demonstrably, cancerous. Government and the people should engage in an ongoing dynamic of engagement and participation. “Fear” in either direction breeds the kind of mistrust and paralysis that, far more than any one ideological investment in any direction, have us mired in our current economic, social and geopolitical mess.

We know this so far about the Justice Department investigation: it was spurred by security leaks; leaks of what, of what severity, and from what apparent sources, we don’t really know yet. The warrants for tapping or seizure of information from the journalistic sources were approved by sitting judges, following due process. It’s not as if the JD simply took it upon itself to spy on those sources on its own presumed authority. I think that before you go off half cocked on Holder, Obama or on me, you need to ask yourself what evidence was placed before those judges that convinced them to issue the warrants.

If the information was classified security information, you can probably expect much of the congressional investigation to occur behind closed doors – unless, of course, you want a repeat of the kinds of security leaks that occurred during the Bush administration that endangered the lives of American operatives or the Wikileaks breaches which did the same. I don’t. I await this laborious process as it sorts itself out. This may be frustrating but seems highly preferable to letting hysteria and partial information and rancid partisanship drive the outcome. I recall that that beacon of conservative probity, Winston Churchill, pointed out that “democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others that have been tried,” and I think he hit it right on the head. How “fringe” do you think Churchill was?

Similarly, what I did say was – and I don’t know how to make it any more explicit – that there are a number of investigative organs built into our congressional and judicial systems to look into these problems and that they should be used to do so rather than permitting a melange of information, misinformation, partisan politics and horseshit journalism to determine the course of events. In other words, follow democratic process instead of cave in to mob rule. How you conclude that I’m on some kind of fringe because I insist on placing my faith in those institutions rather than in storming some delusional Bastille escapes me. It seems to me that I’m being very, very centrist about this.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I will back OG up on that — he *is* being centrist here. I am definitely more fringe-y than he is on this. He has much more concern for national security than I do. But, I’m inclined to agree with you, blue, on Holder, fwiw.

(Also, why the hell are you reading Huffington Post, blue? Yech!)

• heyblueyoustink - May 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I try to read everything on both fringes, including foreign new sources. It’s a habit, both sides of the story kind of thing. ( Even if I think Huffington is, well, I won’t indulge except to say we both fundamentallly agree on that, I think. ) Perspective is gained by listening to everyone. Just how I was raised.

As far as due process goes, i’m a huge fan of it. But when it involves, on several levels possibly, the head of the DOJ, no small organization and not without potent power, mind you, I expect more a speedy investigation and trial than what i’m getting. And he still gets to make day to day decisions during this process as long as it is. No, that doesn’t make sense to me. And the grand scope of so many people in between the truth, which never moves, it always is what it is where it is, and where we’re at, and that folk like Lehrner are still getting paid at this moment, is outrageous to say the least.

This is a very inefficient government at the moment, that also stinks.

( OG, I didn’t mean you stink, I meant that these things all swirling at the same time is kind of a “where there’s smoke” moment. )

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Blue: oh, I got that, and no hard feelings meant. Let’s put it this way: we get into enough trouble by thinking with our balls. I don’t believe we will improve matters much by thinking with our noses. I still prefer to default to the left side of my cerebral cortex (which is where logical processes occur, not ideological ones, oddly enough).

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I also think that Ariana Huffington was a fox in her prime. At a certain age, it becomes relatively safe to think with your gonads.

2. proudlycanadian - May 30, 2013 at 7:26 AM

The Braves got Buffaloed by the 4 Jay relief pitchers. Esmil Rogers started and pitched well despite giving up a lead off triple to Freeman in the second. He later caught Freeman in a rundown when Fast Freddie tried to score on a bouncer to Rogers. Rogers is faster than Fast Freddie. Rogers also got a key bunt in the second moving runners to third and second from whence they were plated by Melky. Juan Perez and Neil Waggoner who had just been called up from the Bisons were superb and Mighty Casey closed out the save.

• nbjays - May 30, 2013 at 7:33 AM

And it didn’t help the Braves that they had some butt-ugly defense along the way. I watched the game on Sportsnet and Buck and Tabby had been bragging up the stellar defense of Freddy Freeman and then he proceeded to channel Bill Buckner down at first base.

Esmil Rogers must have gotten hold of one of Ramon Ortiz’s blank “deal with the devil” contract forms. He pitched a damn fine few innings and had a couple of sac bunts. This Perez kis is pretty good, and his herky-jerky, stride-off-the-right-side-of-the-mound delivery had the Atlanta hitters off balance. Not a good night at the plate for the Upton bros or Dan Uggla.

And nice to see Janssen back in fine form to close it out.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM

All I got outta that was that Canadians say “butt-ugly.”

• cur68 - May 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM

That’s “butt-ugly, eh” to you, ‘philliac.

Nicely summed up, boys. Our Lads got Minor and his tiny ERA and WHIP tonight. This will not be easy. RA Dickey’s going to need some help from Jobu to get through this one. Can’t count on the Upton’s to keep striking out and there’s also Gattis to be mindful of.

I am as stunned as anyone to see all these errors in consecutive games. At first I put it down to the Braves playing on an artificial surface in TO, but last night’s Little League Defence came to us, live, from Turner Field. I’m used to BeaverErrorBall so the loss @ Skydome, which was due to the error-fest in the 1st inning of that last game there, kinda fit with my sense of doom about the whole thing. But the fact that the Beavz nearly WON that game due to BravesErrorBall was a new thought to consider. What’s more it is apparent that BravesErrorBall in Atlanta contributed mightily to the Beavz Win last night, too.

Know what the new market inefficiency REALLY is? Shut down defence.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 10:39 AM

eh

3. abaird2012 - May 30, 2013 at 7:31 AM

If Navarro could have added a grand slam, he woulda hit for the HR cycle. Is there such a thing?

• nbjays - May 30, 2013 at 7:37 AM

There would be if he’d done it :-)

4. uyf1950 - May 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Well as a Yankee fan what can I say. The Yankees have looked pretty bad the last several games including Wednesday. Wednesday’s game like Sundays game their pitching and hitting let them down big time. On Monday and Tuesday the pitching was very good but the offense terrible. We will see what today Thursday brings. Just one more comment. Looking forward with Tex and Youkilis expected to be activated for Friday I would expect the offense to improve dramatically. As the addition of these 2 will add much needed hitting from the left side of the plate versus RHP’ers. Something the Yankees line up has struggled with all season.

• uyf1950 - May 30, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Correction: needed hitting form the left side of the plate versus “LHP’ers”.

• nbjays - May 30, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Wait…. what? Youk bats left-handed???? Since when?

• uyf1950 - May 30, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Since my comment. God forbid this site add an “edit” function. But I think or at least I would hope you knew what I meant. Have a good day.

• proudlycanadian - May 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM

4 in a row. They look mortal right now, but every team has its ups and downs in a season. The Rays who were scuffling recently have now won 4 in a row. It is a long season my friend.

• nbjays - May 30, 2013 at 7:38 AM

It doesn’t hurt that they’ve been playing the Feesh.

• uyf1950 - May 30, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Pruodly, yes it is a very long season.

• cur68 - May 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I was hoping for Everything to Come Up Beavers last night, but the Feesh didn’t help by losing to the Rayz and the O’s rallied against the Nats (dang their oily hides! What happened to Nattitude, eh?). Still, a BoSox AND Empire loss with a Beaver Win was a really nice outcome, too.

Empire are going with this kid Vidal Nuño tonight. Great name. The Empire has a couple of the best named pitchers in MLB. They got this kid, Preston Claiborne and now they’ve got Vidal Nuño. Who the heck names their kid “Vidal” anyways?

Anyhow, the pair of them sound like the principal antagonists in an overwrought Civil War Era romance novel. Which one of them will win the affections of Miss Daisy? The born-rich, but perennially drunk and dissolute Preston Claiborne? Or that nouveau riche self-made son of poor farmers, Vidal Nuño? Stay tuned, folks. This FOX mini-series will continue…

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM

You have dashing Vidal and gentlemanly Claiborne fighting for the affections of Miss Daisy? Daisy?! C’mon, cur. You can come up with a better name.

• cur68 - May 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Right. Miss. Daisy Miss Delilah Beauregard Honeywell. The visiting Yankee niece of Mr. Vaughn Beauregard Leatherbottom.

• jwbiii - May 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Maybe his parents were big fans of Myra Breckinridge

5. wlschneider09 - May 30, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Before this goes any farther we need some reassurances from our Canadian contributors:

IS CANADA TRAINING ATTACK BEAVERS?

• wlschneider09 - May 30, 2013 at 7:42 AM

And how long will it be before one of these furry buck-toothed death machines takes out an umpire. Oh the humanity….

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM

We’ve been over this before – Cur will surely remember – but during the Pleistocene, our local ponds and waterways were terrorized by the blessedly now extinct Dire Beaver:

Paleontologists believe that this creature was hunted to extinction by club-wielding designated hitters.

• wlschneider09 - May 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Yet another plus for the DH. If we left the task to pitchers we would have been wiped off the face of the earth.

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Dire beavers?! I never knew they existed. I love it!

• cur68 - May 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Hey man, you can’t bunt no Dire Beaver to death (although Emilio Bonifacio would surely try. Note to Bone Face: STOP BUNTING, DUMMY!!!!).

What ya need in the event of a Dire Beaver attack is Wilfredo Modesto Peña on your team. The Ultimate DH Warrior, is Your Boy in the event of Zombie ‘Pocalypse, Dire Beaver Attack, or if you just wanna hang out. No one can club more Zombie Azz than Peña. No one could subdue more fractious Dire Beaver than Wily Mo.

Anyhow, even if you don’t Go Peña, you should at the very least stay the heck away from PitcherHitting. That’ll just make the Dire Beaver mad. The get real unpleasant when they’re mad.

• dluxxx - May 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I think I remember killing some dire beavers back in highschool. I think I used a d20 to do it though…

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM

In the timbers of Fennario
        The beavers are runnin’ round….

When I awoke the dire beaver
        Six hundred kilograms of sin….

The beaver came in, I got my cards….

Shit. It just doesn’t scan.

• APBA Guy - May 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM

An 8 foot beaver, heaven or hell? And OG, in the Pleistocene, wouldn’t that be a designated hunter?

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Yes indeed. The designated hitter evolved during the Pleistocene, then stopped evolving altogether. You might think of them as ambulatory coelocanths.

• nbjays - May 30, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you… or maybe just let one of our trusty Castor Canadensis Mark 1 Assault Rodents do it.

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Have you ever stopped to consider that that might actually have been a werebeaver? Today, and until the next full moon, it could look just like you and me.

• Shayna - May 30, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Can’t believe this has leaked. Dam!

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Be circumspect. Be very circumspect.

• rockthered1286 - May 30, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Leaked…dam…. that right there is punny.

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 8:28 AM

All beavers are attack beavers, don’t ya know?

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 8:36 AM

That has been my experience, and they have a wide variety of weapons to choose from, from teeth to alimony.

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 8:42 AM

;-) Very dangerous.

• stex52 - May 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM

We are still talking about rodents, right? :-)

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM

You’re adorable, stex.

• rockthered1286 - May 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I hear there’s a big underground beaver fighting ring up yonder… it’s on the bucketlist.

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM

If you poke through the ashes of the trappers’ campfires in northern Saskatchewan, you’ll find the broken sharpened steel jackets the breeders fit to the teeth of their fighting beavers. And I understand that some Canadian rules football players are being investigated for harvesting the tails of their defeated animals to use in gag-and-spank parties after big games.

6. historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 7:47 AM

“mor-tal (adjective) causing or having caused death: fatal – a mortal injury

Yes, Sanchez was more mortal because in addition to giving up those runs, he also sucked at the plate, as we were playing pitcherwannabehitter ball last night. After failing at a bunt (whee!), he was greeted in the dugout by smirking teammates. Pitchers batting. How cute. But, really, how do you walk Don Kelly THREE TIMES and strike out Sanchez? Sanchez struck out 9 himself but since he also struck out, is that 8 SO on the box score? I guess I shouldn’t complain. After all, Sanchez fared the same batting as Brandon Inge.

It seems superfluous to have to add that Miggy went BOOM! Nope, doesn’t get old.

• proudlycanadian - May 30, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Didn’t Sanchez used to pitch in the NL and have some experience bunting? Toronto’s former Rockie (Rogers) did not forget how to bunt.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I guess Sanchez lacks the will to bunt (tWtB).

• paperlions - May 30, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I don’t think we have sufficient data to conclude that Sanchez is mortal…he has neither died nor lived forever, I think we have equal evidence in support of each hypothesis. Although baseball can inform a lot of aspects of life, typically (except for the rare, highly unfortunate incident) evidence for mortality is not forthcoming during a game.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Whatever. I ran the eyeball test.

• cur68 - May 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM

No need to place the cat in the box with the poison, ‘Lions. Its evident on logic and observation alone that Sanchez’s Deal With The Devil ran out last night. His soul will now be eaten like a peeled hard boiled egg.

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Only the ass is immortal, Sanchez. And yours…belongs…to me.

• grumpyoleman - May 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM

He did lay down one decent bunt. The third baseman was playing about half way up the line and Sanchez bunted it back towards the pitcher and advanced the runner.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Yep, exciting stuff.

• paperlions - May 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Yeah, watching pitchers hit is like watching Cabrera play 3B.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

paper, that would annoy me more if you ever actually watched Miggy play.

• cur68 - May 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Cabrera plays 3B? I thought he was over there to keep him out of the way till he could hit? Well. The THINGS you learn on HBT. 3B, eh? What’s next for him, I wonder? Short Stop? Catcher? How many gloves does he pack, anyhow?

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Dang you boys! Dang you boys to heck!

/stomps out

• spudchukar - May 30, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Personally, I wouldn’t use the phrase, “plays 3B”, for Cabrera. “Occupies” is a more apt term.

• cur68 - May 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Didn’t know he was a Lefty, Spuddy ;)

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM

You’re all on the list!

• kalinedrive - May 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I thought the smirking teammates were amused by Sanchez trying to run to first after striking out on a foul bunt attempt, unless he was trying to say he didn’t make contact at all, and the ball got by the catcher. It looked like he thought “oops, I struck out, but the ball is loose so I can run!”

7. rockthered1286 - May 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM

The long ball was alive and well at OPACY last night! Zimmerman (3), Bernadina, Davis (2), Markakis & Pearce… 8 bombs! And kudos to Bernadina for the Eutaw Street shot. And whatever the opposite of kudos is, to Tillman. His secondary stuff wasn’t working so he just started heaving fastballs up to the plate and hoping for the best. But if you look at all 4 of his homers allowed? Center of the plate, straight fastball, behind in the count (which was nearly every hitter). He was ridiculously predictable. But despite being down 6-2 in the 5th, the yardbirds brushed it off, maybe mumbled a few 4 letter words of choice in the direction of Tilly, and started raking. Great game overall by the O’s bats and especially the bullpen.

One side note- I absolutely cannot stand the joint-broadcast crew. I don’t know the Nats guys in the booth, but whoever was the main guy for them had the most ridiculous stats to talk up every player, regardless of how bad they are doing. I believe at one point I heard the stat “well he’s really hitting as of late, going 3 for his last 7.” Umm… thats 2 games. And he’s still hoovering around the Mendoza line. There were others but I cannot really recall specifics. I know they want to pump up their team and you always look for a silver lining for these guys, especially those who have been cold, but come on man… I think with MASN who airs both Nats and O’s game, they need to have the O’s broadcast team on MASN and the Nats on MASN2. Makes it much easier and less obnoxious.

• proudlycanadian - May 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Baltimore is certainly hitting a lot of home runs this season. Tillman did his best, but was unable to ensure a Nats victory.

• proudlycanadian - May 30, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Wait a minute. Tillman pitches for Baltimore? Now you tell me!

• rockthered1286 - May 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I figured you knew that, considering you said Tillman did his best but couldn’t ensure a Nats victory. That seems spot on to what he did yesterday.

• psuorioles - May 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I didn’t go, but the Yard was rocking last night….

• southpaw2k - May 30, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I’m beginning to wonder at what point a Chris Davis home run becomes less news-worthy.

“Oh, Chris Davis hit 2 more home runs last night….and in a related story, the sun rose in the east this morning.”

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM

You know what tomorrow brings, don’t you? Grrrrr!!!

• rockthered1286 - May 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I cannot fathom what this next series holds for us when you put Miggy and Crush Davis on the same field. Somebody is hitting the warehouse.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I really hope it’s the baseball version of H-O-R-S-E.

Of course, JJ v. the Big Potato is what everyone really wants to see. ;)

• natslady - May 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Have to agree. We are used to Carp and FP (and their warts), your guys, not so much. Also, I really, really, really don’t need to be treated to the Gatorade shower for the other team. These joint broadcasts are what makes me bless the MUTE button.

• rockthered1286 - May 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I actually enjoyed listening to my kids questions during the game yesterday as opposed to the broadcast team. Granted it was the same question 20 times over- what’s that guys name?- but it was a welcome change of pace. FP drew a TON of interesting comments from O’s fans on talk radio yesterday. Btw- It was either Bernadina or Moore who was getting pumped up with the whole “hot hand” comments.

8. dondada10 - May 30, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Nova struck out the side on 9 pitches. Impressive stuff.

9. heyblueyoustink - May 30, 2013 at 8:14 AM

If only there was someone on base when Dom Brown hits…….

Wait, what am I saying. TRADE BROWN! TRADE HAMELS! TRADE LEE! ARGLE…. FARgle …….bargle…

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM

But all you need is Svelte Delmon Young.

• heyblueyoustink - May 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM

He hasn’t been ghastly in the field yet.

I will keep waiting for what I have been promised. ;-)

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM

What were you promised?

• heyblueyoustink - May 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM

His awful play in the outfield. I haven’t seen it yet as promised.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Keep hope alive! lol

• unclemosesgreen - May 30, 2013 at 9:12 AM

This is heyblue at his most cogent.

• heyblueyoustink - May 30, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Satire, dear Moses, is a dying art.

10. Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I have to confess at the outset that I had better things to do last night than pay attention to another Feesh fizzle. First, dinner with da wife and some friends at a superb little local trattoria (marinated octopus, intelligent and tender, and grilled sea bass in a saffron champagne sauce with a collard and spinach with white truffle side). Amusing conversation about a seminar on posthumanism at St. Thomas University, and a lively discussion of Annie Dillard’s Pilgrim at Tinker Creek and Holy the Firm. Thereafter, the old master Mel Dancy was singing jazz at the world famous Luna Star cafe, from which the lissome Brie will be departing (anguish!) after this weekend and there was a waitress-trainee to help show the ropes. I didn’t bother to check the score until I got home around midnight. Of course, I was shocked to see that the Feesh had lost. Such things don’t happen in an ideal universe, but to find an ideal universe you have to cross back into the real world up by the county line. Bet you didn’t know that the toll booth at the Golden Glades interchange was actually a stargate, did you?

After a few nights of offensive output the likes of which they hadn’t managed in weeks, and having discovered that it didn’t matter – or, rather, having come to the conclusion that no matter how many runs they scored the other guys would have scored at least one more – the Twits of the Tropics reverted to form. One run was about right. It demonstrated a keen sense of economy of effort, anyway. Tom Koehler pitched well through the eighth, blessing a boolpen that has lately brought all the combined energy of a mononucleosis ward to the mound an opportunity to squeeze a few fresh platelets from its marrow. In the Bizarro world the Feesh inhabit, that’s how you do your duty. Well done, Tom. Don’t take your record too seriously. As King Felix Hernandez will remind you, wins aren’t really important.

The Feesh announced sixteen six and change in attendance. As I said, I didn’t get a chance to watch the game so I didn’t have a chance to count the blue seatbacks and don’t know what a crock of bullshit these homecoming figures were. Then again, it is possible that it was a ticket giveaway night through the Macondo archdiocese in support of the rhythm method.

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM

If there were 2,000 souls there last night, I would be surprised. And I’m counting the strippers in the opposing team’s bullpen. What is that about? The Feesh had better be careful with that. Make sure there is extra security present or something. These Rays, they have a reputation of being not so nice to women, especially when those women are in certain states of undress.

The Rays did to the Feesh what it sounds like you had for dinner. A grilled sea bass with a saffron champagne sauce. (What did have to drink? A nice Chardonnay?) It is what any self respecting team should do to Feesh. Hellboy burnt the catfeesh and I don’t even know what Odorizzi did to the tuna feesh on Monday. Some putrid casserole or something.

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Since I didn’t pay much attention last night, I would have to guess that what you saw cavorting in the boolpen were some of the betasselated dancers from the Clevelander, the hedonically engineered bar and restaurant back by the swimming pool. A couple of them can execute that famous silicone-fueled tassel-whirling trick.

Odorizzi is on his way back to the minors, I hear. Tsk. Giving up what, four runs to the Feesh? He probably couldn’t throw a pea past an astigmatic cyclops.

• stex52 - May 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I guess that most anything is more interesting to do than watching the Feesh these days, OG, but sounds like a nice evening.

Posthumanism, eh? I would have told you that humanism is doing quite well these days.

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Phooey. I bet you even think that modernism is “doing well these days.” Come on. Mann, Joyce and Proust collectively haven’t published anything in decades.

• stex52 - May 30, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Yeah, death has a way of slowing a writer’s output. :-)

No I would have to go with post-modern. Even though the logical dissonance of that term gives me a headache.

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Being dead does put a cramp in your style.

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Shoot, stex, I didn’t see your comment. I didn’t mean to plagiarize. Silly minds think alike.

• nbjays - May 30, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Ah, a quintessential Old Gator post. What a great accompaniment to my morning dark roast. A mentally stimulating, intellectually sublime blend of elegant, soaring prose with just that perfect touch of “What the fuck is he talking about?” Heaven!

• unclemosesgreen - May 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I really thought he saved the best for last – “couldn’t throw a pea past an astigmatic cyclops…”

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 9:17 AM

If you’re the kinda guy who savors his coffee – you know, who has become as obnoxious as a wine snob about “hints,” “finishes” and “suggestions” of everything from anise and chocolate to vapor degreaser in you blends – you need to try Galapagos coffee. We first sipped this black ambrosia in a little harborside cafe in San Cristóbal while watching playful sea lions leaping on and off the tethered boats out there and gleefully shitting all over them some years back and were well and truly hooked. We’ve found it very difficult to order sea lion shit on line, of course, but there is a company in Texas called Treefrog that imports the wonderful shade grown in volcanic soil coffee of the islands. It ain’t cheap but it’s not outrageous either, and my posts go really well with a hot steaming fragrant cup of it.

11. chill1184 - May 30, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Last night’s game was fun and apparently LaTroy Hawkins can run pretty damm well at age 40.

12. natslady - May 30, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Nats “punch-less” offense has now scored 15 runs in two days, without Bryce Harper, Jayson Werth, or Wilson Ramos–and with Desi in a slump. It’s hard to say Davey left JZimm in too long, since his pitch count was 75 after six innings. I didn’t get to see the game until the 7th, but listening on the radio no one clued me in that JZ was apparently “gassed.” Well, until after the fact. It was hot and humid, and he’d had a couple stressful jams (and already given up 2 HRs). Bottom line, with balls flying out of the Yard, the O’s got to our best pitcher and our best reliever. Still, gimme six runs any day of the week. Keep ‘em coming boys, ’cause Dan Haren is pitching tonight in that same ballpark.

• Old Gator - May 30, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Has Davey resumed shaving yet, or is he beginning to look like a Belgian peasant?

• unclemosesgreen - May 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Bad timing picking on the Belgians, as they just trounced the U.S. Men’s National Soccer team in a friendly match, 4-2. The U.S. defense was the soccer equivalent of los Tigres’ parade of designated hitters wearing gloves.

• stex52 - May 30, 2013 at 8:35 AM

What can you say? Zimmerman has been spectacular to date. A shame the wagon stopped here, but hopefully he picks back up next time out.

13. jrs45 - May 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Game 4 beanball between the reds and Indians tonight. Book it!

14. sdelmonte - May 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I think I am not alone among Mets fans in reveling for the moment in claiming this year’s Subway Series crown. Yes, it’s pretty darn irrelevant. And also easier to do with just four games. And easier to do when the Yanks are reduced to Cano and the B-team. But after a month where it was Harvey, Murphy and Wright (and Parnell if you had a lead) and nothing else, three of three from the Yankees feels nice. And seeing Hefner pitch better is encouraging. And seeing Duda picking up the slack is good, too.

The whole “Las Vegas or not” thing is rather silly. And possibly moot for Tejada if his injury is serious. FWIW, I think that Davis will be sent down soon, but only for a couple of weeks.

Have to think that if the Boss were still with us, after last night’s loss he would be ready to fire everyone. There was a man who wanted to win everything. The title, every game on every field, and bragging rights that (alas) his team won long ago in ways more important than a handful of regular season games.

15. janessa31888 - May 30, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I still haven’t recovered from that nightmarish series against Boston. Oh, the misery. After the game when Francona left Perez in too long. It was like a wounded wildebeest surrounded by hungry lions. I went psychotic after Smith blew the game. The bullpen totally stinks right now. Thank goodness for Justin Masterson and a timely home run by Jason Giambi.

• spudchukar - May 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM

How about that clever base-running by Swisher and Giambi. Been a long time since I have witnessed two bone-headed base running blunders back-to-back. Still thanks for whipping the Reds.

16. spudchukar - May 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Cards rally to move to 19 games over .500. A Wacha led series sweep vs. the Royals tonight, would elevate the Red Birds to 20 over .500 in May. Quite a feat for a team that started the 2013 campaign knowing their Ace, Closer, and Short Stop were all gone for the year. Then they lost their #2, #3, #5, starters Garcia, Westbrook, and Gast.

Re-sign Beltran.

Spectacular play by Carpenter.

17. APBA Guy - May 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM

It was a shame to play in beautiful AT&T last night, with the dank, dreary and rodent rampant Mausoleum sitting empty. A shame because with so many season ticket holders enjoying a late cocktail at MoMo’s or a final bite of hot beignets at Epic Roasthouse, there were a lot of empty seats for the first two innings, SF fans who missed Cespedes triple to dead center in the first off Lincecum. Very exciting. That dull murmur audible over the TV was the hundred or so A’s fans who could afford AT&T prices clapping wildly.

Timmy got a pitch with no movement letter high and Cespedes smoked it, a HR in Oakland, but Crisp had scored before the ball hit the wall. Oakland has a lot of team speed, in addition to their other assets. The only fly in the A’s soup last night was Sean Doolittle surrendering 2, otherwise the A’s bullpen was doing their usual thing, in support of Milone, whose home/road split is as if he pitched every away game in Colorado. Pitcher friendly AT&T proved no exception as he surrendered 4 in 5 innings last night.

The enigma that is Lincecum was on full display, aided by shoddy defense, but where has that 5 mph gone? Keep in mind Timmy is getting $ 20M this year to provide for the needs of a 5.12 ERA hurler. The pitch to Cespedes, is this the real 2013 Lincecum: 90 mph, stick straight, missing location by 18 inches and missing up? That pitcher doesn’t get out of AA.

The Giants have a real problem on their hands. Their team is built on pitching and scoring just enough runs. But this year so far, their starter era’s are:

Mad-Bum 3.13
    Zito 4.13
    Cain 5.00
    Timmy 5.12
    Vogelsong 7.19

It’s hard enough to win the Series, very hard to win 2 out of 3, and very, very hard to repeat as WS champs. But with starter era’s like this, at the 33% point in the season, that mountain to climb looks bigger than ever.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM

very nice

18. APBA Guy - May 30, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Thanks! I’m usually the last comment, as the East Time Zone crowd moves on long before I get here. Glad you were here :)

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I usually make a trip back to read you’re west coast updates…and to see how you are doing between Atros fixes. :)

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

*your

Edit function!

• APBA Guy - May 30, 2013 at 5:45 PM

That’s cool. An audience of 1, the momentum builds :)

Seriously, no evidence of PASS because of playing the Giants. That “poor relation” chip on the shoulder overcomes the syndrome, evidently.

19. scoobies05 - May 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM

all i gotta say is…GO O’S!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet