May 30, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
You may remember that Carl Pavano ruptured his spleen in January when he fell while shoveling snow in his driveway at his home in Vermont. It was a very serious situation, as he ended up having his spleen removed and considered himself “lucky to be alive.” Months later, he isn’t any closer to resuming his baseball career.
Pavano’s agent, Dave Pepe, told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com today that his client hasn’t been able to begin working out and will not pitch this season. However, he hasn’t ruled out making a comeback next year.
“Carl will not be physically able to play this year as he recovers from his spleen removal and the complications that followed,” Pepe said via text. “His hope is that he can give it a try next year.”
Pavano was limited to 11 starts with the Twins last season due to a shoulder injury and posted a 6.00 ERA and 33/8 K/BB ratio over 63 innings. He turns 38 next January. The most important thing is having a normal life moving forward, but he might get a spring training invite if he can prove his health.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)