Carl Pavano still recovering from spleen removal, won’t pitch this season

May 30, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT

Carl Pavano Getty Getty Images

You may remember that Carl Pavano ruptured his spleen in January when he fell while shoveling snow in his driveway at his home in Vermont. It was a very serious situation, as he ended up having his spleen removed and considered himself “lucky to be alive.” Months later, he isn’t any closer to resuming his baseball career.

Pavano’s agent, Dave Pepe, told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com today that his client hasn’t been able to begin working out and will not pitch this season. However, he hasn’t ruled out making a comeback next year.

“Carl will not be physically able to play this year as he recovers from his spleen removal and the complications that followed,” Pepe said via text. “His hope is that he can give it a try next year.”

Pavano was limited to 11 starts with the Twins last season due to a shoulder injury and posted a 6.00 ERA and 33/8 K/BB ratio over 63 innings. He turns 38 next January. The most important thing is having a normal life moving forward, but he might get a spring training invite if he can prove his health.

1. tfbuckfutter - May 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Prediction: After a great spring he makes the opening day roster only to miss his first start with a forehead contusion caused by too tight of a hat.

2. kingscourt25 - May 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Pavano has been injured in every way imaginable it seems

• fanofevilempire - May 31, 2013 at 11:30 AM

he injured his buttocks after falling while running to cover first.
      this guy is a train wreck waiting to happen.

3. spiotti103 - May 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM

No offense, as I would never wish harm on anyone, but he should just retire and give back some of the money to the Twins and Yankees for all the time missed. Maybe not all, but certainly some. So what if ball clubs get reimbursed from insurance. That is what is wrong with insurance being so high. Either way, just morally WRONG! Good luck with that recovery and stay home with the family, you are a sports nightmare to fans and a liability to franchises, not to mention unethical.

• duckthefodgers - May 31, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Are you retarded?

• fanofevilempire - May 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM

say mentally challenged, more appropriate.

4. 13arod - May 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM

get better soon man hope you get helathy and play good

5. pisano - May 31, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Just retire Carl, you’re a breathing DL stint.

6. coryfor3 - May 31, 2013 at 2:30 AM

He’s made of glass.

7. aceshigh11 - May 31, 2013 at 3:07 AM

I had my spleen taken out 12 years ago when I was 22. Believe me, it’s NOT a trivial matter.

Because of that, my immune system is permanently compromised. I’ve been 100% healthy since and I live a completely normal life, but there can be risk as one ages.

• fanofevilempire - May 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I feel bad for you and wish you a healthy life, I think the
      comments are more about Pavano being soft, like he has
      a paper cut and he tells the manager the morning of his start.

• aceshigh11 - May 31, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Thank you!

Honestly, I’ve had zero ill effects since the surgery…I don’t even think about it most days, but it’s still something I’ll have to contend with as I get older.

8. multiplemiggs - May 31, 2013 at 4:53 AM

keepfagsoutofsports.org

• fanofevilempire - May 31, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Dude, what’s wrong with you man?

• jwbiii - May 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM

He’s just butt hurt because he doesn’t have an autographed I Banged Alyssa Milano t-shirt.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2860)