May 30, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Matt Kemp‘s nightmare season continues. After he left last night’s game with what was described as a mild right hamstring strain, Kemp has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. In a corresponding roster move, the Dodgers have recalled catcher Tim Federowicz from Triple-A Albuquerque.
It’s not clear how long Kemp will be sidelined, but the Dodgers didn’t want to risk making things worse. You may remember that he missed the minimum 15 days with a left hamstring strain last year, but aggravated the injury two days later and missed an additional six weeks. The Dodgers figure to be extra cautious this time around so that history doesn’t repeat itself.
Andre Ethier will make his second career start in center field tonight, but that arrangement might not last long. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times notes that Yasiel Puig is starting in center field tonight for Double-A Chattanooga while Joc Pederson is on the bench. This could be an indication that Pederson will soon be on his way to the majors. He has considerably more experience in center field than Puig, so that would be the logical way to go.
UPDATE: It looks like Pederson won’t get the call after all. Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles indicates that the Dodgers will likely call up Tony Gwynn, Jr. in the coming days.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 141
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (145)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)