May 30, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Matt Kemp‘s nightmare season continues. After he left last night’s game with what was described as a mild right hamstring strain, Kemp has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. In a corresponding roster move, the Dodgers have recalled catcher Tim Federowicz from Triple-A Albuquerque.
It’s not clear how long Kemp will be sidelined, but the Dodgers didn’t want to risk making things worse. You may remember that he missed the minimum 15 days with a left hamstring strain last year, but aggravated the injury two days later and missed an additional six weeks. The Dodgers figure to be extra cautious this time around so that history doesn’t repeat itself.
Andre Ethier will make his second career start in center field tonight, but that arrangement might not last long. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times notes that Yasiel Puig is starting in center field tonight for Double-A Chattanooga while Joc Pederson is on the bench. This could be an indication that Pederson will soon be on his way to the majors. He has considerably more experience in center field than Puig, so that would be the logical way to go.
UPDATE: It looks like Pederson won’t get the call after all. Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles indicates that the Dodgers will likely call up Tony Gwynn, Jr. in the coming days.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)