May 30, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Matt Kemp‘s nightmare season continues. After he left last night’s game with what was described as a mild right hamstring strain, Kemp has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. In a corresponding roster move, the Dodgers have recalled catcher Tim Federowicz from Triple-A Albuquerque.
It’s not clear how long Kemp will be sidelined, but the Dodgers didn’t want to risk making things worse. You may remember that he missed the minimum 15 days with a left hamstring strain last year, but aggravated the injury two days later and missed an additional six weeks. The Dodgers figure to be extra cautious this time around so that history doesn’t repeat itself.
Andre Ethier will make his second career start in center field tonight, but that arrangement might not last long. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times notes that Yasiel Puig is starting in center field tonight for Double-A Chattanooga while Joc Pederson is on the bench. This could be an indication that Pederson will soon be on his way to the majors. He has considerably more experience in center field than Puig, so that would be the logical way to go.
UPDATE: It looks like Pederson won’t get the call after all. Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles indicates that the Dodgers will likely call up Tony Gwynn, Jr. in the coming days.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)