May 30, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Matt Kemp‘s nightmare season continues. After he left last night’s game with what was described as a mild right hamstring strain, Kemp has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. In a corresponding roster move, the Dodgers have recalled catcher Tim Federowicz from Triple-A Albuquerque.
It’s not clear how long Kemp will be sidelined, but the Dodgers didn’t want to risk making things worse. You may remember that he missed the minimum 15 days with a left hamstring strain last year, but aggravated the injury two days later and missed an additional six weeks. The Dodgers figure to be extra cautious this time around so that history doesn’t repeat itself.
Andre Ethier will make his second career start in center field tonight, but that arrangement might not last long. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times notes that Yasiel Puig is starting in center field tonight for Double-A Chattanooga while Joc Pederson is on the bench. This could be an indication that Pederson will soon be on his way to the majors. He has considerably more experience in center field than Puig, so that would be the logical way to go.
UPDATE: It looks like Pederson won’t get the call after all. Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles indicates that the Dodgers will likely call up Tony Gwynn, Jr. in the coming days.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 52
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 46
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)