May 30, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Niese will be replaced by Collin McHugh, who’s struggled in brief stints with the Mets but has a solid track record in the minors.
Niese’s last start was Monday and he tossed seven innings of one-run ball against the Yankees, but earlier this season the left-hander pitched through neck problems that altered his mechanics. Overall this year Niese has a 4.40 ERA and 35/28 K/BB ratio in 61 innings, striking out a career-low 5.1 per nine innings and walking a career-high 4.1 per nine innings.
UPDATE: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Niese has been diagnosed with shoulder tendinitis and will miss “at least” one start. He’s apparently been pitching through discomfort for a while now.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)