May 30, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Niese will be replaced by Collin McHugh, who’s struggled in brief stints with the Mets but has a solid track record in the minors.
Niese’s last start was Monday and he tossed seven innings of one-run ball against the Yankees, but earlier this season the left-hander pitched through neck problems that altered his mechanics. Overall this year Niese has a 4.40 ERA and 35/28 K/BB ratio in 61 innings, striking out a career-low 5.1 per nine innings and walking a career-high 4.1 per nine innings.
UPDATE: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Niese has been diagnosed with shoulder tendinitis and will miss “at least” one start. He’s apparently been pitching through discomfort for a while now.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)