May 30, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Niese will be replaced by Collin McHugh, who’s struggled in brief stints with the Mets but has a solid track record in the minors.
Niese’s last start was Monday and he tossed seven innings of one-run ball against the Yankees, but earlier this season the left-hander pitched through neck problems that altered his mechanics. Overall this year Niese has a 4.40 ERA and 35/28 K/BB ratio in 61 innings, striking out a career-low 5.1 per nine innings and walking a career-high 4.1 per nine innings.
UPDATE: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Niese has been diagnosed with shoulder tendinitis and will miss “at least” one start. He’s apparently been pitching through discomfort for a while now.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)