May 30, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Braves relief pitchers have been dropping like flies. One idea floating around was that they’d make do with a short pen until Brandon Beachy comes back in a couple of weeks, move Kris Medlen back to the pen where he has spent a lot of time and carry on. Then Kris Medlen got hurt last night so it’s on to plan B. Assuming it wasn’t plan A all along: They’ve called up Alex Wood from Double-A Mississippi.
Wood was the Braves’ second round pick last season and he’s an interesting fellow. A 22 year-old lefty, the 6’4″ Wood has but 23 games under his belt across the Sally League and Double-A. In that time, however, he’s put up a 1.72 ERA while striking out a batter an inning, all as a starter.
An intriguing guy to watch. If, for no other reason, than how he does may go a long way toward determining whether Atlanta will be looking for bullpen help at the deadline.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 4
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 291
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (291)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)