May 30, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Braves relief pitchers have been dropping like flies. One idea floating around was that they’d make do with a short pen until Brandon Beachy comes back in a couple of weeks, move Kris Medlen back to the pen where he has spent a lot of time and carry on. Then Kris Medlen got hurt last night so it’s on to plan B. Assuming it wasn’t plan A all along: They’ve called up Alex Wood from Double-A Mississippi.
Wood was the Braves’ second round pick last season and he’s an interesting fellow. A 22 year-old lefty, the 6’4″ Wood has but 23 games under his belt across the Sally League and Double-A. In that time, however, he’s put up a 1.72 ERA while striking out a batter an inning, all as a starter.
An intriguing guy to watch. If, for no other reason, than how he does may go a long way toward determining whether Atlanta will be looking for bullpen help at the deadline.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)