May 30, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Braves relief pitchers have been dropping like flies. One idea floating around was that they’d make do with a short pen until Brandon Beachy comes back in a couple of weeks, move Kris Medlen back to the pen where he has spent a lot of time and carry on. Then Kris Medlen got hurt last night so it’s on to plan B. Assuming it wasn’t plan A all along: They’ve called up Alex Wood from Double-A Mississippi.
Wood was the Braves’ second round pick last season and he’s an interesting fellow. A 22 year-old lefty, the 6’4″ Wood has but 23 games under his belt across the Sally League and Double-A. In that time, however, he’s put up a 1.72 ERA while striking out a batter an inning, all as a starter.
An intriguing guy to watch. If, for no other reason, than how he does may go a long way toward determining whether Atlanta will be looking for bullpen help at the deadline.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (159)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)