UPDATE: No, MLB is not using a 14″ CRT for replay

May 30, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

UPDATE: A pretty big correction is in order.  Earlier today I was given a picture by a source who had access to a National League ballpark and who was told by a ballpark employee that the photo below was, in fact, the replay machine used at the park.  I have been told by Major League Baseball sources and sources from the ballpark in question that my source and the ballpark employee was mistaken. The picture is of a video monitor used by the groundscrew, not umpires for replays.

Major League Baseball shared with me photos of the actual replay monitors used. While I was told that I am not permitted to use the photos, I can describe them: they are 19″ Panasonic flat-panel monitors. I am told that they have HD capability. This conforms with what was reported about the state of the replay equipment used by MLB in the wake of the Angel Hernandez-Adam Rosales home run incident a couple of weeks ago. While there has been some question about whether the system was uniform, I am told by MLB that it is.

There is still much to be said about the state of replay in Major League Baseball and whether the current rules and procedures in place are sufficient to get the calls right. But it is not the case, contrary to my earlier post, that any park is using non-HD monitors for replay review.

104 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Panda Claus - May 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM

An embarrassment like this on Selig’s watch? It seems so unlikely. Say it isn’t so.

• rje49 - May 30, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I picked up a bigger LCD monitor at a flea market last Sunday for 5 bucks.

• sabatimus - May 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Self-sabotage, by Selig? Never.

2. decimusprime - May 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM

MLB has dropped the ball on this. During all the hoopla about the Angel HR call, MLB Now did a piece and showed another “set up” almost identical to your secret photog. That means at least two parks have this crap…my guess is, this is the minimum requirements set by MLB and all the parks are the same.

3. hughhoney2 - May 30, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Listen Bud, if you want to upgrade my grandma has a real nice tube tv encased in the finest Amish cherry woodworking you’ll see. “thats turrrible”

4. cur68 - May 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I wrote the following on May 10th. Since my opinion on the matter hasn’t changed, here it is again:

In all honestly I think that the people in charge don’t really like baseball. Its all about money with them. And why spend money on something you don’t like? Their customers still show up, so ‘eff ‘em.

If they DID care about baseball at all and things being done properly they’d make sure the calls were correct. I’m failing to understand how Pitch FX is available to me on my cell phone and not for an umpire. I’m failing to understand how a cell phone, which can accommodate Pitch FX, can’t be employed to contact an umpire watching the network broadcast for a high def replay. That whole process would take considerably less time, and be far more accurate, than all of those elderly, overweight buggers lumbering off the field to look at a tiny CRT screen who then lumber back out and STILL get the ‘effin call wrong thus touching off a half hour long riot with the manager and players.

Clearly the people in charge could give a crap about the lousy umping. They only give a crap about raking in the dough.

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 4:42 PM

What Cur said.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I can’t wait for the MLB phone-hacking scandal.

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM

The only way it would be more embarrassing is if they used a Nokia 5165 to review the plays.

• jcmeyer10 - May 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Cut to the replay official playing Snake.

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I’m thinking… maybe the whole idea is to make us angry? Bad calls upset me, but not enough to leave the game. The bastards know they have us where they want us. We get angry at a lousy call, and what do we do? We talk about what happened at the game. We’re talking about baseball. We’re spreading the gospel. What’s that saying about there being no such thing as bad publicity? Ultimately, this results in money in the pockets of the powers that be, right? Raking in the dough, as you put it? I don’t know if I necessarily believe this, but I am trying to think of some logical reason for something that seems illogical on the surface. The technology exists. Why not use it? It perplexes me.

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM

AhhhHaaa! Inda is on to something.
        It’s a gosh damned conspiracy I tell ya.’ A conspiracy!

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM

lol Conspiracy theories aren’t my thing. (Although…I got Luke Scott’s autograph the other night–I think he rubbed off on me. Me, a pinko tree hugging liberal with his signature?)

But you explain MLB’s obstinacy on this issue then. This doesn’t make sense. Don’t even try the Chewbacca defense.

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I hear you. I was joking about the conspiracy. But I truly do feel you made valid points. Everyone bitching at the water cooler isn’t necessarily a bad thing for MLB. I may have to start calling you Pinko. I like it.

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Ha! Watch it now… you do know I own a gun too, right? ;-)

• cur68 - May 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM

‘bug, my friend, you believe in logical constructs and that they should be the order of the day. But, logically, if baseball is making money, do they really care if the fans are unhappy with the Umpire Errors? I fear we have to live with this. So, logically, what we SHOULD do is just make it a new stat in the game, right? Clearly they’re supposed to be part of the game (if we go by logic, that is) so we need a SABER stat for it.

I vote for Calls & Reviews Against Play (CRAP). The higher an Umps CRAP, the more they influence the outcome. Angel Hernandez is FULL of CRAP.

• cur68 - May 30, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Sorry. missing an ‘r’ there, ‘buRg. So enthralled with my new CRAP stat I didn’t proof read it. Jeez.

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM

CRAP. I like it. I am very familiar with the substance. I work with it all day. I will incorporate it in my Indametrics.

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Wait a minute. You called yourself a “pinko tree hugging liberal.” I was merely going with the flow. And you own a gun! Women. Sometimes I wonder if they even have themselves figured out! Lol!

Btw: I trim my trees. Some I even cut down. And I always burn the cutoffs.
        I bet you are literally rocking back and forth while pulling at your hair and randomly picking at the backside of your hands? No?

• indaburg - May 30, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I kid, I kid. (Although, I do own one. Liberals so own guns too–not to hijack this thread.)

Back to umps. That tv! It’s ancient!

I trim our trees too. But, I give ‘em a nice hug first and then I recycle the cut offs. It’s all about balance. I’m not militant.

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Yeah…lot’s of my “pinko tree hugging liberal” buddies also own guns. But they limit themselves to one bullet. Much like Barney Fife. Col!

5. pizzadawg - May 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Are the umps using RealPlayer to review calls as well?

• bleedgreen - May 31, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Comment buffering….. 23%

6. jdillydawg - May 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM

That’s great! Which Ump gets to hold the Bunny Ears while trying to get a clear signal?

“A little to the left, Bob…no, too far…Wait, got it! Damn, back to the right! Perfect. THERE! Clear as day, the ball was foul!

I think…”

7. jdillydawg - May 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I also love how it’s shoved right in next to the drinking fountain and a hose. I bet if you pan a little left, you’ll see a urinal.

It’s pretty tough to make the right call when you’re looking over your shoulder and trying not to spray everywhere, I bet.

8. jeffa43 - May 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM

No excuse for this joke…. Poney up Selig…

MLB jackets almost cost as much as a 27 inch hd.

9. sportsdrenched - May 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM

What worse is every MLB Park I’ve been to in the last ten years has HDtv’s on the concourses! You’re telling me they couldn’t rip one of those from the supposed “craft beer” stand, and plug it in down in the tunnel? You would think with revenues of $7.5 Billion they could carve out some coin for a better replay system.

Bud wanted that extra wild card jammed through last season and got that done. But they can’t get HD Replays for Umpires? Why do they hate replay so much? If you’re gonna do something, do it right. Don’t half ass it.

10. dondada10 - May 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM

So it’s used to read the Doppler?

11. koufaxmitzvah - May 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Bud Selig wipes his brow. “HardballTalk?” he mutters to himself. Then he hits the buzzer to his trusted assistant. “Leslie, dear, will you dial up…” he continued with exasperation, “HardBallTalk on the interweb.”

“Yes sir, Mr. Selig,” came the reply. It was soothing; Bud liked that.

Seconds later, his assistant walked into his office and, with a few clicks, types in the web address. “Is there something you would like to see?”

“Scroll for me, dear,” he says. And then, “Stop here. Thank you.”

Leslie gives Bud a smile and walks back out of the office. Bud watches her go, reminding himself that she is, indeed, the same age as his granddaughter’s friends. Better to remember that fact than to force himself to think about dead babies.

The article on his computer centered around a picture phone image of a 14″ television set sitting in a metal case beside a hose and a water fountain deep in the nondescript bowels of one of Bud’s stadiums. The premise of the article was that Bud’s umpires were using televisions such as these to conduct replay reviews. That this photograph could pass off as something that Bud would approve seemed unsurprising to the 90+ snarky comments left attached to this article.

Bud’s temples began to pound. He cradled his brain as another storm of controversy had overtaken him. It’s as if Bud Selig’s hard fought grasp to the baseball commissioner’s office had been some cartoonish joke.

“Fucking modern society,” Bud said. He looked at the author’s name: Craig Calcaterra. “And fuck you, Mr. Calcaterra. Fuck you very much.”

• apmn - May 30, 2013 at 10:16 PM

How will Craig sleep tonight knowing that he owes Bud Selig an apology? Yikes.

• abaird2012 - May 31, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Nice stuff. Watch out for those tense shifts, though.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Thank you. I try avoid proofreading my blog comments, but if I end up going with this shtick, I will tighten up.

12. forsch31 - May 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM

You mean you simply posted the picture and wrote a commentary about it without at least attempting to verify it was true? Sadly, unsurprising….

• rufuscornpone - May 30, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I agree that’s it not HBT’s finest moment…but why is it unsurprising? Personally, if I thought these little fumbles were typical, I wouldn’t bother reading Hardballtalk. But they really aren’t, hence I read it.

I just fail to understand people who read a site and then proceed to bitch about how much they hate the site. Here’s the thing…I *hate* Slate. My solution is not to read their articles and then comment about how much I hate them, but to merely not read them. Weird, I know.

• malbrecht4 - May 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Actually this is typical. I’m gonna take your advice and no longer read this garbage. So long HBT. And for a preemptive reply to your reply Good riddance to you too.

• skids003 - May 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM

It must be nice to work in the US media. Just print whatever you want, then when proven wrong just say oops!!

13. mybrunoblog - May 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Awful job by Calcaterra. He then makes it worse by posting “update” onto the original post. Ever heard of a retraction? How about an apology for being wrong? Fact check your sources big guy. You looked real bad on this one.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4073)