UPDATE: No, MLB is not using a 14″ CRT for replay

May 30, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

UPDATE: A pretty big correction is in order.  Earlier today I was given a picture by a source who had access to a National League ballpark and who was told by a ballpark employee that the photo below was, in fact, the replay machine used at the park.  I have been told by Major League Baseball sources and sources from the ballpark in question that my source and the ballpark employee was mistaken. The picture is of a video monitor used by the groundscrew, not umpires for replays.

Major League Baseball shared with me photos of the actual replay monitors used. While I was told that I am not permitted to use the photos, I can describe them: they are 19″ Panasonic flat-panel monitors. I am told that they have HD capability. This conforms with what was reported about the state of the replay equipment used by MLB in the wake of the Angel Hernandez-Adam Rosales home run incident a couple of weeks ago. While there has been some question about whether the system was uniform, I am told by MLB that it is.

There is still much to be said about the state of replay in Major League Baseball and whether the current rules and procedures in place are sufficient to get the calls right. But it is not the case, contrary to my earlier post, that any park is using non-HD monitors for replay review.

104 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. nman3137 - May 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Is this a joke? Good God.

2. bringbackkosar - May 30, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I’m guessing that is what Loria had installed for Marlins Park

• jcmeyer10 - May 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Only after he sold off the better TV’s for a profit.

3. wogggs - May 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Wow! I assumed they had like a 60 inch flat screen. What a major joke. No wonder they blew that call on the Rosales HR against the Indians.

4. jm91rs - May 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I’m glad they keep it locked up like that. Don’t want anyone walking away with your valuable antiques.

• kopy - May 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM

A smart thief waits until they open up the case to degauss the monitor.

• jcmeyer10 - May 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Cannot like this enough.

5. number42is1 - May 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Looks like the TV that Marty was watching when he was at his grandparents house in Back to the Future Part I

• gammagammahey - May 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Bud Selig: “Oh, honey, he’s teasing you. Nobody has two television sets in their stadium.”

6. gbrim - May 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Every time I think baseball is going to leave the stone ages something like this pops up. Management of this sport continues to screw up a great game.

7. hisgirlgotburrelled - May 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Is that one of those TV/VCR combos?

• jwbiii - May 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM

The Asia Carrera tapes are in the drawer underneath.

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Yep…along with the Ginger and Amber Lynn tapes.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM

The Lynn ladies…. Ginger, Amber, Porsche…. What a great family.

8. joshfrancis50 - May 30, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Based on MLB’s choice of technology, it’s fair to conclude robot umps would bear a striking resemblance to either Paulie’s robot from Rocky IV or the robot Lewis put together in Revenge of the Nerds.

• jackrabbit56 - May 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I was thinking maybe Rosie, the Jetson’s robot maid…

• jtorrey13 - May 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Johnny 5 is alive!

• raysfan1 - May 30, 2013 at 4:13 PM

The robot from “Lost in Space.” Danger, Will Robinson!

9. captaincanoe - May 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Has to be Wrigley. Poop Hole.

• worldseriestiger - May 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM

no way it’s Wrigley, some of the stuff in the background is way to new and they don’t update shit.

10. Jon Weisman - May 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM

At least Angel Hernandez will be able to tell me whether there’s a low pressure system coming in over the tri-state area.

11. dondada10 - May 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I don’t buy it. That looks like the TV they’d check the Doppler on.

• jm91rs - May 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I’d bet that TV is used for other things. I’m sure it was around long before replay started, but my gut says there’s another TV somewhere that they would use instead of that thing. You can get an HD TV 32 inches for about $200 on sale, I’m sure they’re watching it on something better than an old computer monitor.

That said, they should have some huge bank of high end tvs showing all different angles simultaneously so that all of the umps together can see every view and they can make an intelligent decision.

• kopy - May 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM

The simplest solution is there is no other monitor. If the umps use one monitor to check the weather (and make more informed decisions on calling/resuming a game), why wouldn’t they use the same monitor for replay? If they do have a nicer monitor, why isn’t the weather on it?

I trust the opinion of the photographer as someone who would know if there was a nicer screen in close proximity, even if they don’t know for a fact that they do use this for replay. It could be a rogue groundskeeper who watched them use it during a game.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM

If that is the monitor your weather people use, you do not live in Tornado Alley.

12. hisgirlgotburrelled - May 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Unless this is a strong suggestion that this is Cleveland and this is the TV Hernandez looked at then I’m not letting Hernandez off the hook. The manner in which he went about his unrecordable postgame press conference suggests he knew he did something wrong. If he was looking at some shitty TV then he’d have had no problem saying “yes, I did not have a conclusive replay,” or maybe even mentioning the inadequacies of the TV he had to review the play on. But he was just like ‘it was inconclusive, because I say so.’ Oh, and he’s got a history of being a dick, so I’m sticking with him not changing the call to a HR just because he didn’t want to.

13. mybrunoblog - May 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM

NFL as an organization > MLB as an orginization
    Man I hope that tv is a bad joke but I fear it’s not.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM

NFL as an organization: “We need you to change your schedule, because we’ve got this great 2 year tradition that states the winner of the Super Bowl opens the season at home, and we won’t play on Rosh Hashana for some reason, so why don’t you move this game to the daytime so that we can put this beautiful event together for the good of the land.”

MLB as an organization: “No.”

NFL as an organization: “Why I oughta….”

MLB as an organization: “Whoop whoop whoop… Nyuck nyuck nyuck…”

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Hahaha! I completely forgot about Porsche.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Ironically, Porsche was the trashy one.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Yeah, I mean look at all those times that MLB has been hauled into court, and the commissioner’s punishments have been overturned. The NFL never has something like that happen. Oh wait…

• mybrunoblog - May 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM

As an efficient money making orginization the NFL clearly has no peers in Amerrican sports. That’s the point I’m making. Thumbs down if you will but it doesn’t change the facts.

• 18thstreet - May 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Barely related to the top at hand, but I can’t pass up a chance to say this: the NFL, under the tax code, is a nonprofit institution.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM

So you judge one organization over another just by how much money one makes? And by last count, the NFL had $9B in revenue last year. MLB was at $8B, and the gap is closing. MLB hasn’t had a labor stoppage since ’94. They haven’t even had a hint of labor issues. Can you say the same about the NFL?

14. Carl Hancock - May 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM

So this is what umps are being provided meanwhile MLB provides fans with the most advanced live streaming game technology of any major sports league? Just give the umps an iPad and MLB.TV subscription. Even that would be better than this crap. Unbelievable.

15. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM

They should just use a radio with John Sterling’s call of each play.

16. kev86 - May 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Not ripping redheads today you greasy moron?

• dondada10 - May 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Is the greasy comment because you think Craig’s Italian? He’s not.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Pipe down, Ginger.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I was actually born with red hair and had it until I was 9 or 10.

• pauleee - May 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM

You’ve been bald since you were 10! This explains soooo much! :P

• rufuscornpone - May 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Is that when you went bald?

• rufuscornpone - May 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Goddammit Paulee…snaked my own shitty, unfunny joke from out from under me. I was 90 seconds too late from being the purveyor of those groans I was!

• worldseriestiger - May 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM

so that explains why you don’t play baseball professionally

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

The word in the street is…excessive masturbation makes one lose his red hair.
        Don’t sweat it though C.C. I am sure this is merely a coincidence.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Do you know how hard it is now not to make a ginger-lover joke? Argh!

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Dude…your C.C. jealousy is nauseating.
      Look…I like to bust his balls as much (possibly more) than anyone.
      But I don’t want to punch him in the mouth.
      You? I would like to punch you in the mouth…allow you to stand back up and get your bearings…then plant you again.

Take that shit to PFT. You aren’t welcome here.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Extra rage today, Woodpecker?

• koufaxmitzvah - May 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM

With a shot of espresso.

17. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Not shocked in the least

18. udhens - May 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I think that’s the Dell monitor I donated to Goodwill last week!

19. raybrower - May 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

To be fair to MLB a 1080p 32 inch does go for upwards of $250 now. You do that for 30 parks? That’s $7,500. You just can’t expect a multi-billion dollar business to make that kind of investment.

20. Stiller43 - May 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM

A millionaire or billionaire owner cant have some lackey go down to best buy and pick up like a 32 inch hdtv for 250 bucks?

21. historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I can totally see Selig fumbling with a key to open her up and adjust the contrast.

“Why are there so many buttons?”

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM

No. I am actually in a fairly decent mood. I just get tired of the internet tough guy syndrome.
      98% of these dudes most likely weigh a buck forty five…soaked and wet…covered with the blanket from their Mom’s basement. I met a guy who suffered from it bad one time (the internet tough guy syndrome). Threating me…all my buddies (Reds fans) that were going to the game.
      He was a hilljack Reds fan. Wouldn’t you know it? We were going to the same game!
      I told him my exact seat number…what I was going to be wearing and invited him to drop by my seat. I even promised him a beer after it. Not only did he NOT show up. I haven’t seen him post anymore. This was over 2 years ago. And I would have bought this dude a beer too afterwards. I am a Man of my word.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM

So, you owe me a beer?

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Col! I probably owe you far more than a beer.

• historiophiliac - May 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM

We’ve got more storms today, so hang on to that thought. lol

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Consider it hung.

• deepstblu - May 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM

“Where’s the oscillator on this thing?”

22. makeham98 - May 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I hope they can zoom in a little, that’s a pretty wide shot.

• jm91rs - May 30, 2013 at 4:29 PM

No that’s the exact view the umpires get. If you look really closely each park is shown on the map and the ump watches the replays from that angle (it takes awhile for them to figure out where the park is, especially in places like New York where they have to distinguish between two stadiums). Luckily that glass locking the monitor in the case magnifies the image 5x so the baseball is at least the size of a pin head when the umps watch the replays.

23. smoothaswilkes - May 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I think what you are all failing to see is how much grit that tiny CRT possesses. And the CRT’s will to win is off the charts. Silly statheads.

24. rufuscornpone - May 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM

This reminds me of my father, who purchased a Commadore 64 in the early 80s and insisted on keeping it in a table with a locking cover until at least the mid-90s.

It’s okay guys…you can unlock it. It’ll be safe.

• billybawl - May 30, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Who thumbed this down? An Atari 800 fan?

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Hey man…space invaders, asteroids and defender were the shit!

25. rayburns - May 30, 2013 at 3:53 PM

And to watch the replays, they have it all on Beta tapes with excellent tracking control to get most of the lines off the screen…..

Three legends off to Cooperstown