May 31, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
Our Fredi is learning. B.J. Upton, mired in, well, it can’t really be called a “slump” when it’s his whole season, is riding pine against the Nationals tonight. In his place in center field: Jason Heyward. Evan Gattis will be in left and Justin Upton in right.
Counting tonight, Upton has been benched five times in the Braves last seven games. And in the two games he started he went 0 for 6 with five strikeouts. Overall this year he’s “hitting” .136/.232/.247 with 62 strikeouts in 158 at bats.
He’s in the first year of a five-year, $75 million deal. If the Braves weren’t in first place I figure he’d be getting way more pub than he is for stinking as bad as he has.
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 0
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 4
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)