May 31, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
Our Fredi is learning. B.J. Upton, mired in, well, it can’t really be called a “slump” when it’s his whole season, is riding pine against the Nationals tonight. In his place in center field: Jason Heyward. Evan Gattis will be in left and Justin Upton in right.
Counting tonight, Upton has been benched five times in the Braves last seven games. And in the two games he started he went 0 for 6 with five strikeouts. Overall this year he’s “hitting” .136/.232/.247 with 62 strikeouts in 158 at bats.
He’s in the first year of a five-year, $75 million deal. If the Braves weren’t in first place I figure he’d be getting way more pub than he is for stinking as bad as he has.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 0
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 33
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 59
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 70
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)