May 31, 2013, 4:23 PM EST
Our Fredi is learning. B.J. Upton, mired in, well, it can’t really be called a “slump” when it’s his whole season, is riding pine against the Nationals tonight. In his place in center field: Jason Heyward. Evan Gattis will be in left and Justin Upton in right.
Counting tonight, Upton has been benched five times in the Braves last seven games. And in the two games he started he went 0 for 6 with five strikeouts. Overall this year he’s “hitting” .136/.232/.247 with 62 strikeouts in 158 at bats.
He’s in the first year of a five-year, $75 million deal. If the Braves weren’t in first place I figure he’d be getting way more pub than he is for stinking as bad as he has.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 351
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (354)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)