May 31, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Eric Chavez walked off the field in the middle of an at-bat yesterday, so not surprisingly the Diamondbacks have placed the third baseman on the disabled list with a strained oblique.
To take his spot on the roster Arizona activated Willie Bloomquist, who’s been on the DL since the end of spring training with an oblique strain of his own. Bloomquist ended up missing two months with an injury that was expected to last 2-4 weeks, so putting a timetable on Chavez’s return probably doesn’t make much sense yet.
Chavez was extremely productive for the Diamondbacks, hitting .325 with seven homers and a career-high .956 OPS in 38 games while taking over as the primary third baseman at age 35.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 9
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 79
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)