May 31, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Eric Chavez walked off the field in the middle of an at-bat yesterday, so not surprisingly the Diamondbacks have placed the third baseman on the disabled list with a strained oblique.
To take his spot on the roster Arizona activated Willie Bloomquist, who’s been on the DL since the end of spring training with an oblique strain of his own. Bloomquist ended up missing two months with an injury that was expected to last 2-4 weeks, so putting a timetable on Chavez’s return probably doesn’t make much sense yet.
Chavez was extremely productive for the Diamondbacks, hitting .325 with seven homers and a career-high .956 OPS in 38 games while taking over as the primary third baseman at age 35.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (106)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)