May 31, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
I praised Joe West for making the right call in playing the Royals-Cardinals game to its conclusion. Now some pre-praise for the work he and his crew are going to be doing today. The game they officiated ended at 3:14 AM. Figure it took a bit to close up shop and change clothes so they’re leaving the park at, I dunno, 4 AM at the earliest?
Fine and dandy, except for the fact that, as Derrick Goold reports, West and his crew are calling today’s 1:20 PM start for the Diamondbacks-Cubs game. Goold notes that there was a limo waiting outside to take them from St. Louis to Chicago.
Here’s hoping it’s not a close game or, at the very least, there aren’t any controversial calls. But if there are, for once the umps have a fairly legit excuse.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)