May 31, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
I praised Joe West for making the right call in playing the Royals-Cardinals game to its conclusion. Now some pre-praise for the work he and his crew are going to be doing today. The game they officiated ended at 3:14 AM. Figure it took a bit to close up shop and change clothes so they’re leaving the park at, I dunno, 4 AM at the earliest?
Fine and dandy, except for the fact that, as Derrick Goold reports, West and his crew are calling today’s 1:20 PM start for the Diamondbacks-Cubs game. Goold notes that there was a limo waiting outside to take them from St. Louis to Chicago.
Here’s hoping it’s not a close game or, at the very least, there aren’t any controversial calls. But if there are, for once the umps have a fairly legit excuse.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 85
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)