May 31, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
I praised Joe West for making the right call in playing the Royals-Cardinals game to its conclusion. Now some pre-praise for the work he and his crew are going to be doing today. The game they officiated ended at 3:14 AM. Figure it took a bit to close up shop and change clothes so they’re leaving the park at, I dunno, 4 AM at the earliest?
Fine and dandy, except for the fact that, as Derrick Goold reports, West and his crew are calling today’s 1:20 PM start for the Diamondbacks-Cubs game. Goold notes that there was a limo waiting outside to take them from St. Louis to Chicago.
Here’s hoping it’s not a close game or, at the very least, there aren’t any controversial calls. But if there are, for once the umps have a fairly legit excuse.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 0
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)