May 31, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
I praised Joe West for making the right call in playing the Royals-Cardinals game to its conclusion. Now some pre-praise for the work he and his crew are going to be doing today. The game they officiated ended at 3:14 AM. Figure it took a bit to close up shop and change clothes so they’re leaving the park at, I dunno, 4 AM at the earliest?
Fine and dandy, except for the fact that, as Derrick Goold reports, West and his crew are calling today’s 1:20 PM start for the Diamondbacks-Cubs game. Goold notes that there was a limo waiting outside to take them from St. Louis to Chicago.
Here’s hoping it’s not a close game or, at the very least, there aren’t any controversial calls. But if there are, for once the umps have a fairly legit excuse.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 2
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 51
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 16
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 26
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)