Josh Beckett is worried about his arm

May 31, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

Josh Beckett

I’ve had that same thought when he was holding the ball between pitches but, eventually, he did pitch again.  This, however, is different. And something of actual real concern for the Dodgers’ starter. From The L.A. Times:

“I’m concerned,” said Beckett, 33. “I’ve never dealt with anything like this for this amount of time. We’ll just have to see what happens there.”

This referring to the numbness he’s felt in his fingers. Beckett had an MRI this week and they’ll review the results Monday. Here’s hoping for good news.

1. bigleagues - May 31, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Josh,

Repeat after me… THORACIC OUTLET SYNDROME.

Also, doing some off-season conditioning might be a good thing to consider.

2. unclemosesgreen - May 31, 2013 at 1:39 PM

To paraphrase Tom Waits – ahhhh there’s nothing wrong with (him) that a hundred dollars (worth of Popeye’s and 40’s of O.E.) couldn’t fix.

• chacochicken - May 31, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I’ve found that the Old English tends to increase the amount of trouble I’m in. I can’t feel the last two fingers in my left hand. I think something in my elbow is pinching the ulnar nerve. O.E. does make me forget about that.

• unclemosesgreen - May 31, 2013 at 8:28 PM

O.E. increases the amount of trouble anyone is in. Just like Maddog 20/20. (brief pause for college nostalgia and a salute to the kid that had that kind of stomach lining back in the day) ok I’m back.

Are you left-handed?

3. pesky99 - May 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM

That’s just Beckett being beckett. He’s not performing for what he’s worth, and now it’s time for excuses.
    I am EXTREMELY THANKFUL to the dodgers for taking him from the Sox, good riddance!

4. xpensivewinos - May 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Well based on previous experience after being diagnosed with an injury that prevents him from doing his job, a golf outing should be coming up shortly for him.

Good ol’ guaranteed contracts……….gotta love ‘em.

• patsandsox - May 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM

He really changed after 2008 and was never the same. I thought he was great then, but he has made such a huge fall and become and a cancer in the clubhouse that I bet he is out of baseball by the end of the contract.

• dan1111 - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:35 AM

He was better in 2009 than 2008, and 2011 was one of his best seasons (forgotten amid silly claims about fried chicken, but still true).

As for this new “cancer in the clubhouse” reputation, Beckett has never been thought of as a great team leader, but I doubt that he has really changed. What did change is the Sox were in disarray from the end of 2011 through 2012, and people were looking for explanations for that.

5. yahmule - May 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM

He’s also concerned about his jiggly moobs, although, apparently not too concerned.

• jcmeyer10 - May 31, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Well if he uses em like CC did, he could work an extram MPH or two out of his fastball.

6. pinkfloydprism - May 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Craig, I feel let down here… You had the perfect opportunity to title this post, “Josh Beckett is worried about his chicken wing.”

7. rcquinn1972 - May 31, 2013 at 8:24 PM

That Red Sox trade is looking better every day! :)

8. gloccamorra - Jun 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Lessee… he just turned 33 and has one more year on his guaranteed contract, meaning he’s unlikely to get a big contract for his age 35 year but has already made $100 million-plus in his career anyway, his team is going nowhere this year and he’ll have to break in a new manager and likely get acquainted with new teammates next year, and at his best for his age, he’ll still be the number three pitcher on the team… sounds like finishing his career on the DL, or an injury retirement is an option coming into play.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2903)