Ruben Amaro acknowledges that the Phillies maybe messed with Domonic Brown too much

May 31, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT

Brown_Domonic

Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News has a profile of Domonic Brown who broke the heck out in the month of May. His performance so far this year has validated his former status as a top prospect. But it was a coming out that many thought would happen a couple of years ago.

For what I think is the first time, Phillies GM Ruben Amaro acknowledged that maybe the organization’s decisions — and not just his failure to figure things out — had something to do with Brown’s arrested development:

In the midst of Brown’s home run barrage this week, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. acknowledged Brown’s initial call-up and subsequent benching “maybe [was to] the detriment of his development.”

It’s hard to give a kid a shot on a team that is supposed to be contending, and Brown’s injuries always seemed to come at the worst possible time. But yeah, I think maybe Amaro is right here and it’s good to see he acknowledges that mistakes were made.

Now, someone ask him about the Ryan Howard contract …

1. flamethrower101 - May 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Ruben Amaro Jr. actually admitting that the Phillies did something wrong? IT’S THE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!!

• shoesforallsays - May 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Having seen the way the Phils are hitting, I am 90% sure the apocalypse has already arrived. All that is missing is Katniss.

2. rocketsteadman - May 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Ask him about that Howard contract and this is the response you’ll get

3. paperlions - May 31, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Their handling of him wasn’t ideal…but his wrist injury that killed his power for a year plus (which is pretty typical of such injuries) didn’t help either.

4. heyblueyoustink - May 31, 2013 at 10:13 AM

In perspective, if you compare the Howard contract to some other notable “sluggers”, the Phils get off a little easier than many others.

Still a bad contract, but nowhere near the most grievous.

Maybe even a little better than 14.5 million and 12.4 million for a couple of starters, a second baseman and center fielder, both hitting at a nifty pace under the Mendoza line.

• jonrox - May 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM

How do you figure the Phillies got off easier with Howard’s contract? With most of these giant contracts, they only become franchise-killing albatrosses in the last couple years. Howard’s contract was a monster from the start.

• heyblueyoustink - May 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM

He was overpaid to market value for sure, and i’m acknowledging the error in it, but it’s certainly not the worst contract in all of baseball. They could have made a bigger mistake somewhere else, like meeting Josh Hamilton’s terms.

And at least he’s hitting over .200, when he’s in the lineup.

• paperlions - May 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

True, but neither Pujols nor Hamilton look like they’ll earn their money a single year of their deals…that may be somewhat surprising for Pujols, but not so much for Hamilton. At this rate, the Angels will be very lucky if Pujols is only as bad his last 5 years as it looks like Howard will be for the 5 years of his deal (really, same goes with Hamilton).

• heyblueyoustink - May 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM

And between Uggla and Upton, the two salaries I referred to, i’d be way more aggrivated with that situation, 26 million for drech at two positions.

5. rufuscornpone - May 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Umm, I’m not sure who the “many” are. Pujols…Hamilton maybe, though I think they are both the victim of terrible starts (don’t get me wrong, I absolutely do not think Pujols is going to be hitting .330/.430/.650 again, but given his recent history of slow starts, I doubt he’ll end the season that poorly either). A-Rod obviously.

But other than those, which sluggers have worse contracts? Howard is still owed at least $85 million more, assuming the Phils buy out his contract in 2017. In his last 120 games, Howard has a sub-.300 OBP and a negative WAR. That’s basically not getting off easier at all. Once you throw aside the obviously, comically silly contracts of A-Rod and Pujols (which pretty much everyone agreed were terrible the instant they were signed), Howard still has arguably the worst contract in baseball.

• bleedgreen - May 31, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Dan Uggla ($13M/yr), Adam Dunn ($14M last year, $15M this year), Hamilton, Pujols, A-Rod

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM

“Once you throw aside the obviously, comically silly contracts of A-Rod and Pujols (which pretty much everyone agreed were terrible the instant they were signed), Howard still has arguably the worst contract in baseball.”

I like your thinking – lets apply it elsewhere:

If you throw out the Phillies losses this year, they are undefeated

If you throw out the times Howard made an out, he is batting 1.000

• rufuscornpone - May 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Oh, my mistake. The Howard contract is awesome then.

Since you so clearly missed my point, it’s that the statement was made that there were “many” contracts worse than Howard’s. I said there were two, but apparently my phrasing confused your rudimentary monkey brain, so I will be more simplistic.

Pujols’ and Rodriguez’s contracts are probably worse maybe. Ryan Howard’s is probably third worst.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM

“monkey brain”? Wow, really bringing your A game today.

I better watch out, lest I get called a poopy head

• rufuscornpone - May 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Umm…

Dan Uggla at 13 million is much better than Ryan Howard at $25 million. Dan Uggla was an effective player last year, and this year, as a 2nd baseman, his OPS is still almost equal to that of Howard’s! For many millions less.

Adam Dunn is fuck awful, but was certainly better than Howard last year. Also, next year is the final year of that deal. Howard’s is worse.

Hamilton has been in his contract for 2 months. Yeah, it’s bad, but I really don’t think Josh Hamilton is that bad of a player. We’ll see.

In conclusion, Phillies fans are deluded over how bad Ryan Howard has been. His OBP ranks 29th among qualified first baseman, his SLG ranks 19th.

Guys, I’m not trolling you here. Ryan Howard has been really fucking bad the past two years.

• xmatt0926x - May 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I’m a Phillies fan and I don’t think you are trolling. I just ask that you don’t generalize and say “Phillies fans” are deluded. There are Phillies fans that have hated that contract from day one and said so from day one. I also think even most of the die-hard defenders of that deal have come around. It’s a horrible deal. It has to be lived with. We move on. I do honestly believe that the Pujols deal comes close. Yeah, he’s still productive but even he is starting to talk about his own decline and there’s what, 7 or 8 years left on that deal?

6. hisgirlgotburrelled - May 31, 2013 at 10:49 AM

He’s got to be one of the dumber GM’s I’ve ever seen.

Speaking of the outfield and Rube being dumb, Delmon Young still starts in RF.

7. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Can’t respond to everyone, so posting it here:

Yes the Arod contract is a bad one, and the way it’s going it’s going to get worse. However, it’s still a better contract than Howard because Arod is at least producing some value. Arod signed his new deal before the ’08 season. Since then, he’s produced 21.2 rWAR (or roughly 4 rWAR a season). That has value. Ryan Howard signed his new deal in 04/10 starting with the ’12 season. Giving him credit for all of ’10, he’s produced 1.3 TOTAL rWAR, or roughly 0.4 rWAR a season. Howard can essentially be replaced by a AAAA player at league minimum.

Pujols is in the same situation as Arod. They are still producing, but not up to their contract’s standard. Howard has been really bad. It was a bad contract signing then, and it’s only going to get worse. The jury’s out on Hamilton.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - May 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I read it as a dig at Atlanta with Uggla batting like .170 and BJ Upton having just one of the worst seasons you will ever see (since the end of the dead ball era only 2 players ever finished with a sub .500 OPS). You combine them, that’s more money than Howard is making, except they occupy 2 starting positions. I thought it was just all in fun, like we all know Howard’s contract is bad, it’s been said. Perhaps not too relevant to this article, but Craig gets his digs in on us whenever possible, why can’t it go both ways?

• rufuscornpone - May 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM

but Craig gets his digs in on us whenever possible

Did you ever think that Craig digs in whenever possible because every time he does Philly fans whine about how unfairly they’re being treated? A large contingent of Phillies fans on this board take these things so personally, like Ryan Howard is their dear, sweet mother and Craig is calling her an old, crusty whore or something.

The Howard contract gets a lot of shit because a lot of people said this was going to be. It isn’t surprisingly bad…it’s turning out exactly how a lot of people with their ear to the ground thought it would, over the loud protests of the delusional wing of the Phillies fan base. So…expect some “I told you so!” for a while.

• rufuscornpone - May 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Rob Neyer: The Phillies have done a lot of things right over the last few years.
      But this is a big bowl of wrong

Matthew Carruth: When the news first broke and the details started to emerge, I was
      tempted to fill this entire article with just me laughing. My co-writers
      convinced me that while an appropriate response, that was not quite
      informative enough so I have relented and will actually map out the
      value of Ryan Howard’s new extension. I’m laughing pretty hard, though, in case
      you wanted to picture it.

Jonah Keri: 5 years, $125 million for Ryan Howard!!! A
      financial quagmire that’ll make the Iraq War look like a slap fight

8. sandwiches4ever - May 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Him?

9. foreverchipper10 - May 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Speaking of Arrested Development, Craig are you aware that there is a new season now available to stream on Netflix?

• jm91rs - May 31, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Hoping to watch it all this weekend. I’ve missed the Bluths.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2757)