May 31, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
It was really, really late to be finishing up a baseball game. Or really early. Both I guess. This one ended just after 3AM with a 4-2 Royals victory over the Cardinals following a four hour-rain plus delay.
It was actually the second rain delay of the game, as the thing started an hour late at the outset. The game began after a one hour rain delay and was delayed again for nearly five hours in the ninth inning. But it was right to keep the game open in my view. See, the ninth inning started, the Royals scored three runs and loaded the bases with no one out. When the rains came the umpire crew could have just said “ballgame,” but that would have nullified the Royals’ rally as things would have reverted to where they were at the end of the last completed inning, giving the Cards the win.
Joe West’s crew obviously didn’t want to do that. And while it made for a late, late night for all involved — and with a ballpark that was basically empty — at least the game was decided by the players and not the umpires.
Well, it was also decided by Mike Matheny, who decided to put Mitchell Boggs in for the top of the ninth in a one-run game for reasons that make sense only to him, but that’s still better than Joe West deciding the game.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)