May 31, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
UPDATE: Here is the official statement from MLB:
“The Office of the Commissioner and the Players Association have discussed various issues regarding international amateur players, including the possibility of an international draft. While both parties discussed an international draft, an agreement was not reached on some of the mechanics and procedures related to such a draft. Thus, an international draft will not be implemented in 2014. The parties intend to continue to discuss international amateur talent issues, and the current system of international talent acquisition as described in the Collective Bargaining Agreement will remain in place at this time.”
12:30 PM: Major League Baseball and the MLBPA have been negotiating the details of a worldwide draft. The deadline to implement such a beast for the 2014 season is tomorrow. June 1. Jeff Passan reports, however, that it’s not happening and the idea will be shelved for another year, kicking the draft into 2015.
Still, given the provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that would impose additional restrictions on how much teams can spend on international signings, and given the apparent desire for all parties to have such a draft — at least all parties with a voice at the negotiating table, which does NOT include international amateur players or officials from said countries — it’s going to happen eventually. Just not now, as the logistics were apparently too much to handle by tomorrow’s deadline.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)