Jun 1, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
With Danny Espinosa hurting due to a small fracture in his wrist, here’s an interesting situation to monitor with the Nationals.
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports has confirmed reports that top prospect Anthony Rendon will be promoted from Double-A Harrisburg to Triple-A Syracuse. The interesting wrinkle here is that the plan calls for him to mostly play second base.
Rendon had his first taste of the majors earlier this year when Ryan Zimmerman was on the disabled list and batted .240 (6-for-25) in eight games. While the 22-year-old has missed some time recently after having his wisdom teeth extracted, he is batting .338/.460/.676 with four home runs and 17 RBI in 19 games since being sent back down the minors. His natural position is third base, but the Nationals are clearly preparing him in case Espinosa’s wrist continues to be an issue.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 18
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)