Jun 1, 2013, 1:15 PM EST
With Danny Espinosa hurting due to a small fracture in his wrist, here’s an interesting situation to monitor with the Nationals.
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports has confirmed reports that top prospect Anthony Rendon will be promoted from Double-A Harrisburg to Triple-A Syracuse. The interesting wrinkle here is that the plan calls for him to mostly play second base.
Rendon had his first taste of the majors earlier this year when Ryan Zimmerman was on the disabled list and batted .240 (6-for-25) in eight games. While the 22-year-old has missed some time recently after having his wisdom teeth extracted, he is batting .338/.460/.676 with four home runs and 17 RBI in 19 games since being sent back down the minors. His natural position is third base, but the Nationals are clearly preparing him in case Espinosa’s wrist continues to be an issue.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (223)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)