Jun 1, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
With Danny Espinosa hurting due to a small fracture in his wrist, here’s an interesting situation to monitor with the Nationals.
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports has confirmed reports that top prospect Anthony Rendon will be promoted from Double-A Harrisburg to Triple-A Syracuse. The interesting wrinkle here is that the plan calls for him to mostly play second base.
Rendon had his first taste of the majors earlier this year when Ryan Zimmerman was on the disabled list and batted .240 (6-for-25) in eight games. While the 22-year-old has missed some time recently after having his wisdom teeth extracted, he is batting .338/.460/.676 with four home runs and 17 RBI in 19 games since being sent back down the minors. His natural position is third base, but the Nationals are clearly preparing him in case Espinosa’s wrist continues to be an issue.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 21
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)