Jun 1, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
With Danny Espinosa hurting due to a small fracture in his wrist, here’s an interesting situation to monitor with the Nationals.
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports has confirmed reports that top prospect Anthony Rendon will be promoted from Double-A Harrisburg to Triple-A Syracuse. The interesting wrinkle here is that the plan calls for him to mostly play second base.
Rendon had his first taste of the majors earlier this year when Ryan Zimmerman was on the disabled list and batted .240 (6-for-25) in eight games. While the 22-year-old has missed some time recently after having his wisdom teeth extracted, he is batting .338/.460/.676 with four home runs and 17 RBI in 19 games since being sent back down the minors. His natural position is third base, but the Nationals are clearly preparing him in case Espinosa’s wrist continues to be an issue.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)