Jun 1, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
It’s one step forward, one step back for the Blue Jays.
Morrow left Tuesday’s start against the Braves after two innings with the injury. The Blue Jays were initially hoping that he would be able to bounce back to pitch tomorrow against the Padres, but it turns out that he’ll need some more time to recover.
Morrow is off to a disappointing start this season, posting a 5.63 ERA and 42/18 K/BB ratio in 54 1/3 innings over 10 starts. Toronto’s starters rank 28th in the majors with a 5.50 ERA. Only the Astros and Twins have been worse.
With Morrow out, the Blue Jays have brought back Ramon Ortiz to replace him on the active roster. In doing so, they removed left-hander Ricky Romero from the 40-man roster and outrighted him to Triple-A Buffalo. This means that he passed through waivers unclaimed. Of course, that shouldn’t be a big surprise at this point, as he has a brutal 13.85 ERA and 3/20 K/BB ratio through four starts in Triple-A and is still owed around $19 million. But it’s the latest indication about how far he’s fallen.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 26
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 32
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 126
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)