Jun 1, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are placing right-hander Brandon McCarthy on the disabled list due to shoulder problems. This confirms a report by Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
Of course, shoulder issues are nothing new for McCarthy, who gave up six runs on nine hits over 2 2/3 innings in his most recent start Thursday against the Rangers. Signed to a two-year, $15.5 million contract over the winter, the 29-year-old right-hander has a 5.00 ERA and 39/10 K/BB ratio in 66 2/3 innings through 11 starts. Only CC Sabathia and Joe Blanton have allowed more hits than McCarthy (85) so far this season.
The Diamondbacks will call up right-hander Randall Delgado to take McCarthy’s place on the roster. Acquired from the Braves in the Justin Upton deal in late January, he has an ugly 6.84 ERA and 45/30 K/BB ratio in 51 1/3 innings through 11 starts this season with Triple-A Reno. It’s possible that he’s just coming up to pitch in long relief until McCarthy’s rotation spot is needed on Tuesday. Tyler Skaggs, who was sent back down to the minors after he struck out nine in six scoreless innings in Monday’s doubleheader, is the strongest option to fill.
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 7
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 45
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)