Jun 1, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are placing right-hander Brandon McCarthy on the disabled list due to shoulder problems. This confirms a report by Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
Of course, shoulder issues are nothing new for McCarthy, who gave up six runs on nine hits over 2 2/3 innings in his most recent start Thursday against the Rangers. Signed to a two-year, $15.5 million contract over the winter, the 29-year-old right-hander has a 5.00 ERA and 39/10 K/BB ratio in 66 2/3 innings through 11 starts. Only CC Sabathia and Joe Blanton have allowed more hits than McCarthy (85) so far this season.
The Diamondbacks will call up right-hander Randall Delgado to take McCarthy’s place on the roster. Acquired from the Braves in the Justin Upton deal in late January, he has an ugly 6.84 ERA and 45/30 K/BB ratio in 51 1/3 innings through 11 starts this season with Triple-A Reno. It’s possible that he’s just coming up to pitch in long relief until McCarthy’s rotation spot is needed on Tuesday. Tyler Skaggs, who was sent back down to the minors after he struck out nine in six scoreless innings in Monday’s doubleheader, is the strongest option to fill.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 53
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)