Jun 1, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are placing right-hander Brandon McCarthy on the disabled list due to shoulder problems. This confirms a report by Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
Of course, shoulder issues are nothing new for McCarthy, who gave up six runs on nine hits over 2 2/3 innings in his most recent start Thursday against the Rangers. Signed to a two-year, $15.5 million contract over the winter, the 29-year-old right-hander has a 5.00 ERA and 39/10 K/BB ratio in 66 2/3 innings through 11 starts. Only CC Sabathia and Joe Blanton have allowed more hits than McCarthy (85) so far this season.
The Diamondbacks will call up right-hander Randall Delgado to take McCarthy’s place on the roster. Acquired from the Braves in the Justin Upton deal in late January, he has an ugly 6.84 ERA and 45/30 K/BB ratio in 51 1/3 innings through 11 starts this season with Triple-A Reno. It’s possible that he’s just coming up to pitch in long relief until McCarthy’s rotation spot is needed on Tuesday. Tyler Skaggs, who was sent back down to the minors after he struck out nine in six scoreless innings in Monday’s doubleheader, is the strongest option to fill.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)