Jun 1, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are placing right-hander Brandon McCarthy on the disabled list due to shoulder problems. This confirms a report by Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
Of course, shoulder issues are nothing new for McCarthy, who gave up six runs on nine hits over 2 2/3 innings in his most recent start Thursday against the Rangers. Signed to a two-year, $15.5 million contract over the winter, the 29-year-old right-hander has a 5.00 ERA and 39/10 K/BB ratio in 66 2/3 innings through 11 starts. Only CC Sabathia and Joe Blanton have allowed more hits than McCarthy (85) so far this season.
The Diamondbacks will call up right-hander Randall Delgado to take McCarthy’s place on the roster. Acquired from the Braves in the Justin Upton deal in late January, he has an ugly 6.84 ERA and 45/30 K/BB ratio in 51 1/3 innings through 11 starts this season with Triple-A Reno. It’s possible that he’s just coming up to pitch in long relief until McCarthy’s rotation spot is needed on Tuesday. Tyler Skaggs, who was sent back down to the minors after he struck out nine in six scoreless innings in Monday’s doubleheader, is the strongest option to fill.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (261)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)