Jun 1, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
The Brewers defeated the Phillies today 4-3, thanks in large part to a horrendous call by second base umpire Mike Estabrook in the bottom of the ninth inning. Down 4-2 initially, Freddy Galvis homered to lead off the ninth against Brewers reliever Francisco Rodriguez. Pinch-hitter Jimmy Rollins, who was not in the lineup due to a sore right foot, followed up with a single. Pitcher Kyle Kendrick pinch-ran for Rollins and was moved up to second base on a sacrifice bunt by Ben Revere. With Cesar Hernandez batting, Rodriguez wheeled and fired back to second base, covered by shortstop Jean Segura.
Watch the play unfold in this .gif:
Good thing there isn’t any technology available which would have allowed the correct call to be made.
On the very next pitch, Hernandez doubled to right field, which would have scored Kendrick. Rodriguez then intentionally walked Domonic Brown to face the much-less threatening Michael Martinez, who feebly grounded out to Segura at shortstop to end the comeback attempt.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)