Jun 1, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
The Brewers defeated the Phillies today 4-3, thanks in large part to a horrendous call by second base umpire Mike Estabrook in the bottom of the ninth inning. Down 4-2 initially, Freddy Galvis homered to lead off the ninth against Brewers reliever Francisco Rodriguez. Pinch-hitter Jimmy Rollins, who was not in the lineup due to a sore right foot, followed up with a single. Pitcher Kyle Kendrick pinch-ran for Rollins and was moved up to second base on a sacrifice bunt by Ben Revere. With Cesar Hernandez batting, Rodriguez wheeled and fired back to second base, covered by shortstop Jean Segura.
Watch the play unfold in this .gif:
Good thing there isn’t any technology available which would have allowed the correct call to be made.
On the very next pitch, Hernandez doubled to right field, which would have scored Kendrick. Rodriguez then intentionally walked Domonic Brown to face the much-less threatening Michael Martinez, who feebly grounded out to Segura at shortstop to end the comeback attempt.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)