Jun 1, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
The Brewers defeated the Phillies today 4-3, thanks in large part to a horrendous call by second base umpire Mike Estabrook in the bottom of the ninth inning. Down 4-2 initially, Freddy Galvis homered to lead off the ninth against Brewers reliever Francisco Rodriguez. Pinch-hitter Jimmy Rollins, who was not in the lineup due to a sore right foot, followed up with a single. Pitcher Kyle Kendrick pinch-ran for Rollins and was moved up to second base on a sacrifice bunt by Ben Revere. With Cesar Hernandez batting, Rodriguez wheeled and fired back to second base, covered by shortstop Jean Segura.
Watch the play unfold in this .gif:
Good thing there isn’t any technology available which would have allowed the correct call to be made.
On the very next pitch, Hernandez doubled to right field, which would have scored Kendrick. Rodriguez then intentionally walked Domonic Brown to face the much-less threatening Michael Martinez, who feebly grounded out to Segura at shortstop to end the comeback attempt.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)