Jun 1, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. The Nationals placed Bryce Harper on the 15-day disabled list and called up Erik Davis from Triple-A.
11:25 PM: The Nationals resisted putting Bryce Harper on the disabled list after he crashed into the outfield wall at Dodger Stadium on May 13, but now they have little choice.
Harper missed his fifth straight game last night due to bursitis in his left knee and is “likely” to be placed on the disabled list, a source tells Amanda Comak of the Washington Times. The Nationals are expected to call up right-hander Erik Davis in a corresponding roster move.
Harper hasn’t played since he left last Sunday’s game. The 20-year-old outfielder was still hobbling after a workout Thursday and was expected to sit out this weekend’s series against the first-place Braves. Some extended rest sounds like the right idea, but the Nationals could have him back by June 11 if all goes well.
This is a tough time for the underachieving Nationals, as Stephen Strasburg left last night’s start with a strained right oblique and could also be looking at a trip to the disabled list. Davey Johnson’s club will enter play today at 28-27 on the year.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 15
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)