Jun 1, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
After the Yankees lost five in a row — including four at the hands of the crosstown Mets — they turned to ace CC Sabathia last night to stop the bleeding. He was up to the task.
Sabathia allowed just one run over 7 1/3 innings and matched a season-high with 10 strikeouts as the Yankees defeated the Red Sox 4-1 at Yankee Stadium. The big left-hander scattered six hits and didn’t walk a batter in the victory. The only run scored on an RBI double by Mike Napoli in the seventh inning.
The Yankees’ offense against Jon Lester was supplied by RBI singles from Jayson Nix, Ichiro Suzuki, the returning Kevin Youkilis, and Brett Gardner. And after going three games without a walk against the Mets, they drew four of them last night. Mark Teixeira went 0-for-3 with a walk in his season debut.
It was an encouraging performance from Sabathia, who was knocked around for a season-high seven runs last time out. While much has been made about his velocity, he threw harder last night than he had all season, topping out at just over 94 mph on his fastball.
(Hat-tip to the excellent Brooks Baseball for the velocity data)
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)