Jun 1, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
After the Yankees lost five in a row — including four at the hands of the crosstown Mets — they turned to ace CC Sabathia last night to stop the bleeding. He was up to the task.
Sabathia allowed just one run over 7 1/3 innings and matched a season-high with 10 strikeouts as the Yankees defeated the Red Sox 4-1 at Yankee Stadium. The big left-hander scattered six hits and didn’t walk a batter in the victory. The only run scored on an RBI double by Mike Napoli in the seventh inning.
The Yankees’ offense against Jon Lester was supplied by RBI singles from Jayson Nix, Ichiro Suzuki, the returning Kevin Youkilis, and Brett Gardner. And after going three games without a walk against the Mets, they drew four of them last night. Mark Teixeira went 0-for-3 with a walk in his season debut.
It was an encouraging performance from Sabathia, who was knocked around for a season-high seven runs last time out. While much has been made about his velocity, he threw harder last night than he had all season, topping out at just over 94 mph on his fastball.
(Hat-tip to the excellent Brooks Baseball for the velocity data)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 54
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 34
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (213)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)